Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Jonathan hadn't intended on participating in this frivolous ball but after hearing that the Cecils were on the invitation list, he had decided to attend as well. Today would be the night when he properly got on his knees and asked for Charlotte's hand in marriage, he was sure of it. He had his mother's ring placed securely in his pocket. All he had to do was find the right moment and he was sure that she'd say yes. She liked him. That was clear but there was still worry within him. Did Charlotte like him enough to say yes was the true question at hand. But Jonathan decided not to ponder too deeply on these thoughts and continued onward with determination that by the end of the night he'd have a fiancee.

He entered the ballroom in search of her but could catch no glimpse of her form. He was disappointed, perhaps she had chosen not to come after all?

Or maybe she had wandered off somewhere, yes that could be a possibility as well. And just as he had escaped from the horde of people, he heard a woman speak.

It wasn't any woman, it was the redhead he taken to bed back in their shared past. She had been a good lover but she an unsuitable lady of society. She was too promiscuous for etiquette's taste.

"Lord Lennox, I didn't think you'd be somewhere here alone," she mewed into his ear. Her breasts were pressed up against his chest. What once had made him lustful only resulted in disgust now.

"Come, let's play tonight. I'm sure your other girl won't mind." She said as her hands grabbed him in his weakness, lingering far too close for Jonathan's sanity. He couldn't remember her name in all honesty but he wanted her to stop.

"Don't tell me Jonathan Lennox is weak now," she said with a chuckle, "all for a potential bride. You only need those to pop out children. Desire comes somewhere far more passionate, you and I both know that." Her wicked lips licking itself as she inched closer.

"Stop it." He demanded.

But she didn't, her fingers were pulling at his pants while her mouth had scandalously pressed against his neck.

He willed her to stop but the harm that had been done was too late. His eyes widened as Charlotte stood in the doorway, her face strewn with shock as she witnessed what she did. Without a word, the girl turned her head and stormed off.

At that instant, Jonathan had flung the redheaded woman aside and she fell onto the ground with a thump. She was angry at his dismissal but Jonathan didn't care. The woman he loved now thought of him as nothing more than a bastard.

Charlotte had been looking for Jonathan desperately before. And she convinced herself that he was simply tardy. She didn't allow her thoughts to drift elsewhere. She trusted him to a certain extent - but that proved naive. To her horror, she had seen the man with another woman who was draped over him like a tool. She felt the cracks within her heart break and she couldn't believe it. She didn't want to but there was no denial of what was in front of her. It took all courage for her not to say a thing but he saw her and it destroyed her - those beautiful stormy eyes looked desperate. She was overwhelmed. The blonde stalked off without a word, walking away as quickly as she could willing herself not to cry. Ellen had been right and she was a fool to believe that Jonathan had good, pure intentions. He was a rake and he played her like a violin. He wanted to bed the most challenging girl in the ton, she was just another target. She wasn't anything more than a challenge. By believing such a thought only made her choke on her feelings even more. She ignored the glances she got her way as she did her best to find an empty room to find her solace. She could hear his footsteps following her, his voice calling for her but she didn't look back. She refused to.

"Charlotte! Please," Jonathan's voice begged as he tentatively approached her.

The glassiness of her eyes shined in the light of the lamps. "Go away Lord Lennox, your company isn't welcomed." Sharp words dictated with control and coldness.

"Let me explain."

"No."

"Charlotte."

"Lady Charlotte!" She snapped. "I have NOTHING to say to you."

"Well I have something to say."

Charlotte was silent. She didn't care what he had to say.

"She was a thing of the past. I gave it all up for you Char-"

"Lies, all of it lies." She seethed, her eyes burning with fury as her fists were clenched at her sides.

"Charlotte look at me, please." His voice was hoarse as he tried to close their distance. But every step of his only caused her to walk backwards. She wanted none of his touch.

"Leave!"

"No, you'll listen to me Charlotte."

"I refuse."

"You're going to hear it." He spoke seriously, his eyes never flickering far from hers as he desperately attempted to cling onto any fragment of possible forgiveness.

"You're a bastard."

"Charlotte, I love you."

But Charlotte ignored it, her lips were firmly pressed together as she said nothing to his confession. In other circumstances she would have been overjoyed but she didn't believe him nor did she trust him. He toyed with her feelings and led her on to believe that he genuinely had interest in her. She couldn't stop playing back the whore on his arm. She loathed Jonathan Lennox and she was determined to make him feel the butt of her brutality. She lifted her head to stare at him dead in the eye, forcing herself to hold her ground before she spoke again.

"I loathe you, despise you, I hate you. Rot in hell." She spoke each syllable with conviction and walked past him without another sound.

And Jonathan was left there to wait. 

A/N: Trouble in paradise haha. Anyways, was super pumped to get this posted up and done because I have a feeling this week is going to be turbulent for me seeing how school's so close to beginning and all hell's gonna break loose. Please vote, comment and etc! Your support means the world to me and I'd love to also receive feedback on my end as well. Hope you're all having a good weekend and until later!