Chapter 10 - See, This is Why We Need Jack

"Zhis is a very bad idea..." Schneeple said. The five of them were walking through the streets of Brighton, marveling at everything around them.
"Ah, come on! It's not that bad!" Chase said, shoving his hands in his pockets and strolling along with a carefree attitude, "a bit of fresh air and some scenery never did anyone any harm!"
"I mean...Jack did say not to leave the house..." Marvin said. He was gripping the lead that Robbie was tied too, trying his best to control him every time he jumped out at people or cars.
"Who cares what Jack said!" Chase said, turning to face the others and walking backwards, "We'll be out and back in before Jack even noticed! As long as no one tells him, we'll be fine!"
"Watch it!" Schneeple cried, shoving Chase out of the way of some pedestrians he'd almost hit while walking backwards. Chase mumbled a sorry to them before turning and walking the right way.
"You see, Chase?" Marvin said, "You may not like to think it, but we have no idea what we're doing! We need Jack here to-"
"It's fine, Marvin!" Chase snapped, "We're fine! We're not that far from the house, we're not going to be doing anything huge or spectacular, we're just going to wander around for a bit and then go home!"

It was then Chase noticed one of the buildings they were passing had tables and chairs in front of it. There were people sat down at them eating food and drinking drinks.
"Let's see what this is!" Chase said and, without waiting for an answer, walked over to the tables and seated himself down at one of them. The others reluctantly followed. Once they were all seated, Chase pulled a laminated sheet of paper out of a stand on the table and looked at it. He squinted at it for a moment before turning it upside down and trying again.
"Um..." was all he said.
"Give it here," Schneeple said, reaching his hand out for the paper. As he took it, he muttered, "It seems like I'm zhe only von out of you idiots that actually learned how to read."
"Hey!" Chase cried, overhearing him, "I had much better things to do with my time than 'read'."
"Like what? Shooting toy guns?" Jackaboy giggled.
"Yes, as a matter of fact!" Chase said, "I'm practicing for when I get a real gun!"
"Last time you got a real gun you tried to shoot yourself," Schneeple said. He put the piece of paper down on the table and pointed at it. "Zhis is called a menu, apparently," he said, "it basically just tells you everyzhing they serve. It says you have to pick what you want and zhen go to the counter inside and order it. Zhe problem is..." he looked at the menu again, "I have no idea vhat any of this stuff is."
"Well, I'm not really hungry, so you can leave food out for me," Jackaboy said. Marvin and Chase weren't hungry either.
"Vell, that makes my job slightly easier," Schneeple said, scanning the drinks section of the menu, "Zhere's Coke, lemonade, orange juice..." he went on to list the other drinks, the other egos looking more and more confused as he went.
"Yep, I don't know what any of that stuff I'd either," Chase said when Schneeple had finished.
"Just pick something for all of us and let's get this over with," Marvin said, looking round nervously.
"Ok! Ok! Chase, just order us five cokes." Schneeple said.
"Why do I have to do it?" Chase argued.
"Because this was your idea." Schneeple replied.
"Wait!" Jackaboy said suddenly, "how are we going to pay for this? I mean, we have to pay for stuff right? Jack paid for the train tickets when we first came here, does that mean we have to pay for drinks too?"
"I don't know," Chase said, "but what I do know is that I stole some of Jack's money in case we ran into a situation just like this." With this, Chase pulled a couple of paper notes out of his pocket.
"Chase!" Marvin shouted, "What are you doing?! Jack's going to kill you when he finds out!"
"He won't find out," Chase replied as he got up and went inside.

Inside seemed to be busier than outside. There were far more people here sitting down, talking, making drinks, serving people. Chase watched them all in wonder. He thought about what it must be like to be a 'normal' person, to be used to all this and to be living out your daily life just...existing. Not running away from psychopaths or being experimented on, just...living. His thoughts were interrupted by a female voice.
"Can I help anyone?!"
Chase looked over to the counter and saw a young woman standing behind it, looking around for a response. Chase guessed that's where he had to order from.
Well, he thought, here goes nothing.

He walked over to the woman, who smiled when she saw him.
"Hello! What can I do for you?" She asked, pulling out a notepad and pen.
"Um...five cokes please." He said nervously.
"Diet cokes or normal?" She asked. Chase's heart skipped a beat. He had no idea what that meant.
"Normal?" He said slowly. The woman smiled.
"Ok! That'll be five pounds fifty please."
Chase paused. He assumed that meant he had to give over the money he had, so he put all of the money into the woman's hand.
"Um..." she said, taking some of the notes and putting them back into his hand, "that's a bit too much, sir." She held up the note she'd kept. "This'll do just fine."
"Oh...ok," Chase said, putting the notes back into his pocket.

The woman put the note into some sort of machine (which made a ping sound when it opened) and put the note in. She then took out a different coloured note and a few small, round metal pieces and gave them to Chase. He took them, confused.
Why is she giving me the money back? He thought. He decided it was best not to ask questions.
"What's your name, sir?" The woman asked suddenly. Chase blinked in surprise.
"W-what?"
"Oh! Sorry," the woman said, "It's just we take the names of the people who order so we can deliver their orders to them easier. So, what's your name?"
Chase thought for a moment.
Which name does she want? He thought, My lab name: Subject T10/C1? Or the name I gave myself: Chase Brody? I guess the lab name might sound a little weird...
"Chase Brody," he replied.
"Just Chase will be fine," the woman replied, "Thank you!"

As she turned to leave, Chase suddenly had a thought.
Do I ask her what her name it too? Isn't that how people usually have conversations?
"Um...excuse me?" He called. The woman turned around.
"Yes?"
"Um...what's your name?" He asked, hoping he was doing something right. The woman giggled.
"Oh! I don't usually get asked that by customers." She smiled at Chase. "But, oh well, I guess there's no harm in saying. My name is Stacy."