t w e l v e

I woke up at 5.30 with a sheen of sweat across my forehead. I didn't know if I had screamed out but for the sake of the Ramirez's I hoped I hadn't. I threw the covers off my body and stretched arms. Enrique had kindly offered his bed though I insisted on having the couch. I was glad he was more stubborn than I was because despite being woken up by a nightmare I had one of the most comfortable nights yet.

Last night I was given a spare toothbrush, towel and a pair of Valentina's pyjamas. I didn't think anyone would be up for another hour or so, so I slipped into Valentina's room and grabbed a t shirt and sweatpants. I brushed my teeth as slipped the borrowed clothes on. I wrote a note on Enrique's door telling my host I had just gone out. Sliding the hair band off my wrist, I tied my hair up and slipped my beat up converses on to my feet. Gently clicking the door shut behind me I set off at a gentle jog around the block. I got to the park and ran a circuit around it. I checked my phone and it was only 6 so I decided to go for another two or three laps round the park. When I reached the house again I felt refreshed and my head was clearer. The wonders exercise can do to you.

I wasn't sure anyone was awake so I searched for a spare key, which conveniently was stashed in a potted plant beside the porch. I opened the door before replacing the key in the plant pot. I ran up the stairs when I realized that the house was still quiet, which meant that everyone was still asleep. On Sunday's Rosa's opens later than usual, but only by an hour so I was surprised that Rosa wasn't up already. The cafe was due to open in an hour. That was when I realized my note on Enrique's door was torn off and another replaced it.

Hey Rori, I know that you're probably wondering why the house is so quiet. That maybe because by the time you read this Tia and I would have left for the cafe already. Val is still sleeping after her night shift and probably won't wake up till about 12. My mom is probably making breakfast. I'll see you later? Enrique.

So that's why the house was quiet. They had left in the hour I was running. Since I was sweaty and sticky I hopped into the shower with my borrowed towel. It was nice to have a shower where the water heated up instantly. I stayed under the hot stream for a little longer than usual before changing back into the previous day's clothes. I didn't want to borrow more of Valentina's clothes. Once I had placed my sweaty clothes in the washing up basket and laid out my towel to dry, I went downstairs where the smell of coffee and pastries was. "Something smells nice." I commented as I entered the kitchen.

"Ah Rori, I see you took the liberty to explore the neighbourhood." Mrs Ramirez smiled.

"Yes, I hope that's not a problem. I was awake early so I thought I could go for a run." I said.

"It's no problem dear. Now would you like some breakfast?" She asked. "Rosa and Enrie have already left for the cafe and Valentina is probably snoring away."

"I'm starving!" I grinned and took a seat at the table with her. There was quite a spread for the two of us. She had made a traditional Spanish breakfast, complete with the sweet rolls with jam and aromatic strong coffee. She had also set out a plate of Magdalena cakes. "Did you make all of these?" I asked as I took a bite of the sweet roll. I almost moaned in delight.

"Yes I did." She grinned as she dipped a Maria cracker into her coffee.

"I see where Enrique gets his talent from." I smiled broadly as I took another enormous bite of the sweet roll. The coffee was made from the same type of beans that Rosa had at the cafe hence the inviting smells of the coffee that filled the room reminded me of that place.

"He's a talented boy, but doesn't have very good luck. We're not very well off so I can't send him to culinary school. I know he desperately wants to become a chef, but our financial situation is difficult. We're lucky that Rosa makes lots of money from the cafe but sometimes it's not enough. My husband works long hours, comes home late and goes early in the morning just to earn enough money to provide for us. Rosa's husband left her which is why she is living with us. Valentina is in the local community college studying business which we hope will help her. She works for free at the cafe when we are understaffed. It's been a difficult few years for our family but we've managed this long I'm sure we can manage many more years yet." She told me.