n i n e t e e n

The same routine passed, where I would pick up Echo, take her to Aldea and then bring her home before bedtime. True to her word, Anna paid me fifty dollars each hour I had to babysit so by the end of the week I had enough money to pay the first month of bills and a small amount of food.

I had gone hungry most of the week because most of my money went towards travel and rent, but I ate a little at Anna's house a few times. I felt bad for eating food without paying for it, but then I realised I was already babysitting her kid I'm sure she wouldn't miss two slices of bread.

On the way back from dropping Echo off I made a stop at the local supermarket to grab a few things. I was running low on the essentials so I made sure I was stocked up with pads, soap, bread and other packet foods which were relatively healthy but cheap.

I had gotten into the habit of drinking strong coffee and green tea, having recently just tried English tea. Each time I ordered the man at the counter and I had a friendly conversation before I'd go my separate way while he stayed to serve other customers.

One night I met a senior cop who started visiting the area because of the increased antisocial behaviour. We sat and chatted for a while before he left to make a round in his cruiser. I started building friendships as I settled down, something that made living in a run down block easier.

"So Rori, how are you tonight?" Donny, the cop, asked.

"Same old, same old." I shrugged, cradling the cup of coffee in my hands.

"You look terrible. When was the last time you slept?" he asked.

"I don't know. I can't really remember. The days all blur into one. I think it may have been Saturday?" I shrugged nonchalantly. The door opened and a gust of chilling wind swept in. Since the month of October had arrived, the weather was getting colder and I was struggling to stay warm in my apartment with some of the heaters broken and the electricity too expensive for me to afford.

"Kid you gotta sleep." He said, patting my arm before quickly retracting his hand. I remember I was weary of him at first but he reminded me so much of my father it didn't take long to trust him. I hadn't told him all of my past, but he promised he'd keep me safe without knowing the full story.

"I know. But the nightmares are getting worse. Last time I was drowning in water again and I couldn't breathe." I had only just started to open up to him about my nightmares, not delving into details.

"But it's not healthy for you. You work, what, three jobs? And on top of that you have to study. You're going to be working yourself to death."

"I won't die." I rolled my eyes.

"Just promise you'll try and get some sleep tonight?" he said, his brown eyes softening in the light.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll try." I gave him a slight smile.

"You're going to be the death of me kid." Donny chuckled.

"I'm not a kid. I'm almost eighteen, an adult." I frowned.

"Till then you're still a kid." He grinned. Donny was a widower but didn't have any kids, so he unofficially adopted me. He had tried to convince me to move in with him but I was too prideful to accept I needed help, but allowed him to check up on me occasionally. He came to my apartment at least three times a week and we met up at the café almost every night. He had even met Anya and Katia when I invited them round. Unconsciously I began filling up the holes in my heart with the love people from around me.

The last few weeks I avoided Christian and he avoided me. I knew that we weren't going to get the project finished at the rate we were going and since we only had a week before we had to submit it I spent a few sleepless nights working on it. It wasn't going to be our original idea so I resorted to just writing a report instead.