s i x t e e n

The rest of the week flew by and soon I was heading to Aldea for my shift. I changed into my work clothes and began serving customers. Mr Kingsley was sitting at his usual table when I approached him.

"Mr Kings... Tom?" I said, surprised.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well it's almost seven thirty." He said as if it was supposed to mean something to me.

"So?" I asked.

"And today is Friday."

"I know that." I rolled my eyes.

"You forgot didn't you?" he laughed.

"Forgot wh... oh. Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. I completely forgot. I've just been so busy with work and school I just..."

"It's okay I get it." He smiled kindly at me.

"No it's not. I practically stood you up. I honestly didn't mean to. I wanted to go on a date with you. I'm so sorry." I cried, slightly flustered. "Let me make it up to you."

"You don't have to." He insisted.

"No I want to." I told him. "I didn't ask George for time off so I don't think we can do anything now, but here's my number. Call me." I smiled, scribbling my number on my notebook and tore the page.

I smiled and glanced back at him. He was grinning at the sheet and leaned back in his chair. I shook my head and returned to my work. It was only at 12 when I was free to leave, having cleaned the floor and tables and served the last few customers.

"So Rori, come over around six on Sunday. I know you have the afternoon shift since I've taken the day off to take care of Katia." Anya told me as we reached our apartment block.

"Sure that's fine. I'm not working tomorrow so I can go get a few things if you want me to?" I asked.

"No! Rori! You just focus on getting the grades to go to NYU! You work so hard as is it, I don't want you to have to stress about something like this. No just bring your ass down to flat 4 by six o'clock on Sunday." She said. I smiled gratefully at her and hugged her as we reached her apartment.

"See around." I called before trudging up to my own humble abode.

The stress of the entire week final bore down on me and I couldn't stay awake any longer. I hadn't slept in the last seventy two hours, fueled purely on caffeine from coffee and green tea. I had eaten all the food Mrs Ramirez had packed for me and I had used up all my fresh food, so I stared at an empty fridge with just a glassful of OJ left. I sighed and gulped the juice before rinsing the glass and placing it back in the cupboard.

I left my school bag on the table before going to changing into a large t shirt and loose pants. I brushed my teeth and climbed into bed. The moment my head hit the pillow I was out. I had exhausted my energy store and I had been functioning on solely stimulants. Since I was so tired I didn't think I would get any nightmares, but I was awake by six o'clock with tears dripping down my face.

I curled up under my comforter, locking my arms around my knees. I eventually drifted off to sleep again when I was woken up by the unfamiliar ring of my phone. "Hello?" I croaked.

"Hey Rori. It's Tom. Did I wake you?" He asked, concerned.

"No its fine. How are you?" I glanced at my alarm clock and saw that it was ten.

"I'm good. So I was thinking of our date today."

"That can't be good." I joked.

"How do you like seafood?" He asked.