t w e n t y - f o u r

When I got home the next day, I was exhausted. The drama from the night before and the sleepover had taken a toll on me. Though I was able to sleep, my work suffered slightly. My body was strung too tight and I was too jumpy around customers. Suffice to say I didn't earn as many tips as I normally did, but when I left I breathed a sigh of relief that my shift wasn't longer than the four hours I had to work.

"NO!" I screamed as the car ran over the side of the bridge. With the momentum we had, our car hurtled into the freezing lake, rolling once before landing in the water.

"Dad!" I screamed, tugging at my seatbelt.

"I'm here," I heard his faint reply.

"Mom!" Kiera whimpered. But she didn't reply. My blood instantly went cold.

"MOM!" I screamed as I saw her head roll to one side, a huge dash at her temple. I struggled in my seat, pulling at the restrictive belt around my body. I eventually crawled out and found myself half submerged in water.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, I heard him groan.

"Aurora, I'm scared." My little sister cried.

"It'll be alright. I'll get you out." I replied. I reached over to unclipped her belt only to notice it was badly bent out of shape, with nothing to break it off. I blew out a frantic breath before attempting to kick the door open. I only managed to break the window, while the dented door refused to move. Using a large shard of glass, I gripped the piece in my hand and began sawing through the belt. The result of my desperate rescue resulted in my hands being cut and only nicking the edge of the belt.

The water had risen so much I was able to swim out or the car, but the freezing temperature caused my skin to turn blue. Throwing the passenger door open, I saw my mother bleeding and broken as she sat in a twisted position in her seat.

"Mom!" I screamed, tears streaming down my face as my bloody hands shook violently.

I woke up on Monday in a cold sweat, tears streaming down my face. With a puff from my inhaler my breathing calmed but my nerves were all over the place. Shakily I got ready for the day and made my way to school.

"Hey Princess." Christian said. I jumped and slammed my locker door. He was leaning against the side. smirking.

"Hi." I walked towards my first lesson, history.

"What's up?" he asked.

"The sky." I said sarcastically.

"What's wrong with you?" He glared at me.

"I'm just having a bad morning." I sighed tiredly.

"Do you want talk about it?" He grabbed my elbow and turned me to face him.

"Not really." I shook my arm out from his grasp and strode into the class. He slid into those at beside me.

"So what? I tell you my problems and you can't do the same?" he asked aggressively.

"Yeah." I said noncommittally.

"I've given you space and time. I think it's time you give me something about you." He growled.

"I don't want to." I hissed.

"You will and you'll tell me now."

"I'm not ready." I snapped.

"You're never going to be ready."

"Exactly. So stop asking me." I almost shouted. He glared at me, grabbed my arm and dragged me out the classroom. He pushed me into the lockers and paced angrily in front of me. His anger radiated to me and I began to feel more uneasy.