Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"So, you two decided to stick around, have you?" the Rose Stem Tavern's owner questioned as she set down their tankards on their table.

"For a little while," Gideon smiled, taking a sip of his ale. "We've got a meeting we're waiting around for."

Amory aimed a kicked at him. When it connected with his shin, Gideon barely even flinched.

Jules glanced between the two of them before setting down the plates of food they'd ordered. "Just don't get my girl into trouble," she warned, and let them be.

Amory wanted to snort. Like he'd see her again. He knew she wasn't in the upstairs apartment, hadn't even gone up there when he and Gideon left earlier that morning. He could still smell her lavender and sage scent around them and even in a few spots throughout the tavern, but the trail didn't continue up the stairs.

Gideon bit a chunk out of his bread, staring at Amory. "You're thinking about something."

"Obviously."

"Is it about the king not being able to meet with you until later?"

"I swear, every time I try, he's with the princess. Apparently, something was wrong with her today, which is why the palace guardsmen were in the streets questioning everyone."

"Seems the princess has a rebellious streak."

"Just the way you like them."

Gideon grinned, shrugging. "Eh, princesses are too much trouble."

Amory snorted, stabbing at the roasted duck and potatoes with his fork. "He's not really giving me much to go on. And these few and far between meetings aren't helping either. We really need to find a way to have more access to him."

Gideon pointed his fork at him. "Do you have trouble with princesses? Maybe you should try getting close to Princess Alyvia, especially since she's so close with her father. Think you'd be able to...get to know her a bit...if you know what I'm saying?"

"I never had difficulty before," he grinned. "You remember that trip to Ethran last year?"

"Yes?" he said warily.

"And you remember how I kind of...disappeared for a while that fifth day we were there? Well, let's just say those foreign Fae princesses in Palrion knew what they were doing when they..."

"They?" Gideon gaped. "Good gods, you were...never mind. I don't want to hear it."

Amory couldn't help but laugh as they continued eating, Gideon mumbling about foreign lands and Fae princesses.

By the time they were finished and one of the barmaids had cleared their table, the two of them were leaning back in their seats, casually sipping at their tankards of ale, and listening to the conversations around them. Nothing of importance really, just those of trading with other merchants in Escarral and family matters.

It wasn't until three palace guardsmen, still in their armor and navy capes, came in that both Amory and Gideon turned their attention to the men.

"...caught in the rage of the queen when he came in. The captain was just standing there, taking it. Hell, I don't know how he stands to be around that woman for that long."

"Heard the princess finally showed up. That true?"

The one who'd spoken first took a long sip of ale. "Yes. And then her mother's rage was turned on her. Of course, the king stepped in and whisked her off before anything could get too heated...well, more than it already had."