Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The next morning, Lyv was up with everyone else.  They were trying to let her sleep, but with all the commotion happening out by the docks, it was almost impossible. 

She found Amory with a plate of breakfast in his hand, leaning against the doorframe of the boathouse.  No one would let him help, so he just resorted to making breakfast for the two of them. 

After what happened between them that night in the village by Kesyn Lake, Lyv had trouble getting her mind away from him.  And it wasn't just because she wanted him so bad it was now to the point of pain.  It was because those touches, the whisper of fingertips across her body, had been the most intimate thing she'd done with a man.  

Both of them wanted more that night.  It just wasn't the right time or place. 

Then there was the pain she saw in his eyes the night before.  She hadn't expressed to him just how much she would miss him and wanted him to stay.  He hadn't said a word about it either up until then. 

And now they only had a little more than a day left. 

The bite of toast Lyv swallowed hit her nervous, hollow stomach.  "They are almost ready to go, huh?"

"Almost.  They said they would not leave until they said goodbye to you, though.  Just like I've always known, everyone only has love for you, even in the far reaches of the lands."

It wasn't long after that they were saying goodbye to everyone.  Irveng told them to stay in the boathouse and take whatever provisions they might need for their journeys, Amory on his back to Dalcaine and Lyv back to the city.  Lyv hugged every one of them, tearful, before they piled into the three small boats to go out to ships anchored in the bay. 

Then it was just the two of them. 

They hardly spoke a word to each other for the majority of the day, which was not exactly how she'd wanted to spend her last with him.

Amory kept himself busy – making sure everything was in the case she would give to her father, packing up the supplies for her trip back to the city, making sure the horses had been feed and watered and properly groomed. 

Meanwhile, Lyv started on their dinner, the last of the beef that hadn't been eaten the night before, roasted vegetables, and bread.  And, of course, two bottles of fine wine Irveng had given her before they left.  A sort of last meal for Amory before having to live off of ship rations. 

Lyv had finished off half a bottle before he came back inside.  She tried to pace herself, but she was already filling her fourth glass, a slight buzz starting to cloud her mind and nothing to make a real difference, when he walked in.

Seeing the bottle in one hand and the full glass in the other, he smiled.  "Are you going to save any for dinner?  Or me for that matter?"

She drained half the glass in answer. 

"Are you trying to drink yourself into a stupor?"

"I would need Torrent for that...but I can still give it a try, can't I?"

"Lyv..."

She stopped him with one raised hand.  "Don't.  Don't try to say anything when you know it is not going to help."

There was more silence as they ate.  The sun was started to lower toward the water's horizon, golden rays coming through the distorted glass of the windows.  Lyv couldn't look at him as she cut into her meat, clearing her plate slowly.  He was watching her, though.  And after they'd finished, only quarter of a bottle left now, Amory cleared their plates and took to them to the sink to wash.