Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Jai had been too late. He knew early that morning when they dragged Balian's body from the dungeon.

It didn't take him long to assume the role of another guardsman who he snapped the neck of and threw into the pile of bodies out in the courtyard. He even got a knife out of it...the one the princess had. It had been discarded next to the bodies as if no one realized just who it belonged to. He did, though. He joined in with those who were going back down into the dungeon just half an hour later, his glamour secure as he descended the steps.

It was harder to see the princess's face, still in shock from Balian's apparent gruesome death. The metallic smell of blood was thick in the air, even before he saw the trail on the floor.

He walked silently behind her. They chained Amory, Gideon, and Bence, but not her. The guardsmen knew what they were doing, keeping her on her own short leash by keeping those she loved in chains. Gideon kept himself from glancing back at him, knowing his scent even though he tried to mask it. His oldest friend would want nothing of him after this.

He didn't even try to interfere with the bitch of a queen. Twenty years before, when they were trying to take her down in Asturia after she's torn a path of destruction through Dalcaine...and that last battle that ended up pitting her and Lady Bridget against one other...

He had to play his part here, though.

Lyv cursed her mother as she tried to go for her. He had to hold her back as they beat her father. She was strong, as he already knew. But he held her fast, even when they snapped the king's leg and he cried out.

"Renounce."

"No."

That was when the queen looked at Jai, thinking he were just another guardsman that groveled at her feet.

Play the part.

He pulled the knife, weaved his hand through her hair, and held it against the princess's throat.

Jai closed his eyes for a moment before creating a mental link between him and the king.

It's Jai. I'm the one holding Alyvia.

The king's eyes widened.

You remember what we talked about the first night we met. I would never put you or your people in danger. But if you don't do what Guinevere wants, you know her wrath will rain down on them all. And she will kill you at the start.

Finally, the king was able to for a coherent thought in reply. So, I yield.

You yield. I will get you to safety, but Alyvia...

She needs to stay here.

Yes. You know her mother's plan for her. I tried to think of another option, but there isn't one. I had to make you all think she would get out safely. She has to do what her mother wants, though. She is safer in Dalcaine anyway, even if that is because of her mother sending her.

Jai shifted the knife, nicking the side of Alyvia's neck.

"Renounce, Bence," Guinevere commanded.

The princess tried to twist from his hold. He held her fast once more, pulling her back so he could whisper in her ear, "Do not move, Alyvia."

The stillness that went through her body then. She knew who he was just by his tone.

"Don't do it," she whispered. "Please, don't let her win."

Jai paused, his eyes finding Bence's again as one thought went through the king's head.

Mother help us all...

"I renounce...I yield."

The princess sagged in Jai's arms, not realizing that there was a reason the king had done what he did. As the queen celebrated, holding out her arms to the citizens who looked at her in disgust, two other guardsmen walked toward them. He had to get Bence out, healed, and away before the queen changed her mind and killed him on the spot.

He knew Bence had to be in pain as he tried to push himself up. Jai took a few steps forward after letting the princess go before realizing he needed to be faster in retrieving him. Two others were already on their way to drag him to the dungeons, but he waved them off, picked up the former king, and threw him over his shoulder.

Play it up.

Bence complied, yelling and screaming at him. He knew most of them were real, especially with the way he had to hold onto his legs.

They were out right as the queen started questioning Amory again.

He faded into the shadows, making them appear in Bence's office. Putting him on the sofa, Jai took of his glamour and immediately held his hands over his body.

Bence's forehead beaded with sweat. "What are you...?"

"Shh," Jai hushed. "Healing magic isn't exactly my specialty."

It took him a moment of concentration before he finally was able to do it, healing every cut and bruise, every broken rib, his fractured leg. Bence winced as the fracture in his leg fused and his ribs popped back into proper place but was finally able to take a deep breath when Jai finished.

"We don't have much time," Jai told him as they both stood.

"I have to get everything out of here," Bence said as he rushed over to the desk. He reached underneath it, pulling a lever that opened up a secret compartment in the side. Jai immediately recognized the map case. "I've been keeping everything in this, stored away out of sight. I knew this would happen, just not when. It was either burn them or..."

"And we can't burn them."

He shook his head. "Please, get my daughter to me. And Amory and Gideon."

"Gideon already has his orders about keeping Alyvia safe...but Amory knew his trip would be one-way."

It wasn't a lie either.

Bence's eyes were questioning. "Are you sure that is still what he wants?"

Jai ignored the question, stepping forward. "Go to the cottage and stay there. Gideon will bring Alyvia there as soon as he can. There are wards around it and Gideon will put up more once he's there. You'll be safe."

"And you? What will you do?"

He couldn't meet Bence's eyes.

So, he faded back down to the throne room doors.

And walked back in just as the executioner raised his sword toward Amory.