Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Any day now, Amory!" Lyv called right as he walked out of the tavern. "I'm getting older by the second."

"Is someone being extremely impatient? Or just really bossy?"

"I'm a princess. It's my job to boss people around."

"And I will say again, you are not my princess."

Lyv snorted as she pulled herself up into the saddle of her horse, which had been tied up right next to his. "So, where is my lovely friend Gideon today?" she asked, ignoring his last statement. "Usually, he's your shadow."

"He's back at the cottage with Jett. Don't worry. You'll be seeing both your friends soon."

Amory lifted himself up onto his horse beside her just as she gave him a smile. He couldn't tell exactly, but it was either one of contentment or complete madness, like she was happy to finally get a hold of her magic or like she planned on making the rest of this time they spent together a living hell.

Mother hold him, he couldn't even tell himself which one he wanted it to be. He was just staring at that smile.

"What?" she asked him, raising a brow. "Are you going to change your mind?"

He shook his head. "No, are you?"

"Never. Let's go."

He followed her out of the city, watching as everyone stopped to smile and wave or bow their heads or call out their love for the princess. She returned every one of them as she rode past. It wasn't until they reached the city gates that the smile she was wearing dropped.

Amory was intrigued and couldn't stop himself from asking, "What? Do you not take kindly to the love your people give you?"

"Huh?" she asked, looking over at him just as he brought his horse up alongside hers. "Why would you think that?"

"Your smile. It disappeared the moment we left the city behind."

Lyv sighed, pulling her braid over her shoulder and casting a glance his way. "Since you know Prince Jai, has he ever told you how exhausting being royal is? Or even talked to Princes Destan and Eamon or Princess Laurel?"

Amory raised a brow. "I'm surprised you know the princes and the princess by name."

"My grandfather always said to know your enemy."

"But they are not your enemy."

"No, they're not," she said, shaking her head as she looked forward once more. "I like to read. Too much, if you asked my mother. There's a shop I go to in the village I met Gideon in. Krish always has books for me, even ones from Dalcaine. I love reading about its history and about the ruling families."

"And if your father has his way, he will see to it that you meet them all in person."

"My father..."

Her tone surprised him. A hint of sadness and longing. No matter how much he wanted to ask, he didn't push the matter, especially when she urged her horse into a gallop, remembering the way to the cottage.

But before they could reach it, he called out to her and led them down a separate path. This took them into the clearing he'd spoke of earlier.

Ringed with trees, the knee-high grass swayed in the breeze that whispered around them. Amory jumped from his horse, knowing she would stay close as she ate and leading Lyv's horse to do the same. He watched as Lyv looked around, leaning down to brush her hands over the soft grass, touching the trees, looking up at the sky as the birds sang overhead.