Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next night we had a run through with what we had so far for Band Act. Mr D had to arrange Girl Power to have singing lessons because they sounded like a bunch of cats fighting. Beautiful Day was good but was told to be a bit more upbeat. Black Scream was very dark. Mr D looked terrified. After telling them to tone down the anger a bit we moved onto small thunder which were actually quite good apart from when Alfie got too excited and tripped over the amp. Then it was our turn.

Hayley sung with powerful vocals knowing ever twist and turn of the song. El bashed out the bass notes with Soph providing the beat keeping us all steady. I played my guitar voicing the chords, listening to the amp, occasionally using my pick for the instrumental hammering on the bass notes.

When we finished Mr D just stood there. "Wow girls. That was amazing." He congratulated us. "You've been practicing. Right, next up, Rose Tiger!" I watched Skylar take his place on the drum kit. I noticed how toned his slightly tanned arms were. Stop it! I told myself. It was Skylar. Nobody special. The song they were playing was The Reckless and The Brave by All Time Low which was one of my favourites. I watched Skylar's face as he concentrated and put all his effort into it. I noticed the small grin on his face as he hit the cymbol letting it ring out. "They are too damn good!" Soph said her mouth full of cereal bar, "Sorry I'm starving. But seriously? We need to beat their ass!" And for once, I agreed with Soph.

That night I had to get the last bus running through the middle of nowhere. It was empty so I sat up top deck and watched the stars. I wondered if dad was out there somewhere. Or my soulfinder. I yawned. I hadn't got any sleep last night. I kept having the feeling someone had a pick and was chipping down my 10 foot iron walls. But I wouldn't let them. It was one exhausting night. And now I was up late again.

"Hey." It was Skylar. "I love you." What?!

"No I love her." Now it was Eric. I tried to move but I was stuck on my seat. "Yeah that was me." Grinned Eric. Then I noticed the wine he was holding. Then Nick, Fergus and Harry appeared.

"We're savants." They all said in unison. Then they started moving the bottles around above their heads. Then they directed them at me. I went to put my hands up over my face but my hands were tied. I started looking round for an escape my breathing heavy my heart thumping.

"This wont hurt." Grinned Eric positioning the bottle above my head. He then moved his hand back-

"Rowan." Someone touched my shoulder.

"Stop." I said trying to get the hand off my shoulder. I couldn't see who it was because my fringe was in my eyes. "Go away! Please!" I scrambled backwards and pushed my fringe out of my eyes. Oh crap. It was Skylar. He was on his own thankfully. I dreaded to think what would happen if he was with Eric. He looked genuinely concerned. "Hey um," He said doubtfully, "we've gone past your house but I can walk you back from the village, its not long." He then stopped the bus and went downstairs me groggily following. We got off the bus. "Your house is this way isn't it?" Skylar asked.

"Look, I don't need you to walk me home." I said as the bus pulled away. I wasn't going to forget the years in primary he stuck beside Eric and called me names, the days on the bus he would target me because, for some strange reason he was being nice? Maybe, I don't know, he was going to shove me into the road in the rain or somthing. I wasn't just going to fall for it.

"Right, fine, okay." said Skylar, sounding slightly angry. "Bye." I started walking in my direction. I hated the dark. You didn't know who or what was going to jump out at you. There were no streetlights out in this area either. Something fluttered above my head. I could see my breath forming white against the midnight blue sky. Something few past my ear brushing it lightly with its wings. I was scared now. A creature that looked like a bat, I couldn't really tell because it was so dark, flew towards me. I screamed. I stood still. All I could hear was the sound of my breath coming in shallow gasps. I turned back towards the village. "Skylar?" I called my voice quivering. I was so scared. I was never going to live this down on the bus but I was too terrified to care. "Skylar!" I shouted this time and started running. I saw a tall figure in the distance, which probably wasn't him. He would be home by now. I tried to get my phone out to ring my brother but my eyes were swimming and my hands were shaking. I dropped my phone and let out a cry of frustration. I bent down and fumbled around on the ground. It was a black freaking phone on black freaking tarmac in the pitch fricking black. I felt the tear run down my cheek and I wiped my hand across my eye smearing black eyeliner all over my face. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't find my phone, I was scared as hell and I didn't know where I was.

"Rowan. Oh christ Rowan." I felt someone pull me into a hug. Was it Luke? No too short. Tanya? No it was a man. "Rowan, are you okay? Christ, no you're not, your hands are bleeding!" He took my hands in his. I recognized the voice.

"Skylar?" I choked.

"Yeah it's me. Look I know I'm the last person you want to see right now." I gave a choked laugh.

"I really don't care." I said. For the years of misery he had given me I wasn't ready to forgive him yet. But I needed someone to help me, get me home and he was standing right in front of me. "Look, your house is a ten minute walk away," He said, "would your brother mind if you stayed round mine for the night? Not like that y'know, we've got a spare bed. It would just be so much easier. Please?" What?! Skylar? The one who threw knife and let others push it further in the wound? "I won't tell anyone if that's what you're worried about. And my Dad had a friend over who is a doctor, I can get you a hot drink, please?"

"Skylar," I said taking a deep breath, "you've never liked me, I've always been your worst enemy. What changed?"