Chapter 13

Chapter 13

We broke off the kiss and he lent his forehead on mine.

"You're the definition of lovable, you know that?" He stated. I blushed unsure what do do with the compliment.

"Thanks."

"You don't like compliments?" He looked at me with a crooked smile.

I flapped my hand at him,"Yes I do, I'm just not entirely sure what I'm meant to do with them," He grinned and pulled me into a hug. We stayed there his arms around me beside the lake for what felt like hours. Later he took my hand and lead me to a meadow. He told me he used to come here as a child with his mother. We lay in the long grass on our backs, my head resting on his chest, his hand draped round my shoulders watching the stars come out.

"Do you want to go back?" He asked gazing down at me. I could feel his warm breath tickling my neck. "Its gotten quite dark."

"I'm okay here," I whispered and felt a small smile on my lips, "with you. I don't want to move."

He smiled down at me. "I truly love you." He said, "I truly, truly do."

"I love you too." I gazed up at him. And just like that I fell asleep in a meadow, under the stars lying with my soulfinder.

***

I rubbed my hand across my eyes and blinked a few times. I looked across. On the opposite side of my living room was Skylar wrapped in a blanket breathing softly. How did we end up back here? I padded across the carpet and into the kitchen to check the time. It was 5:30am Monday. Instead of drenching him with a cupful of water I gently shook his shoulder.

"Skylar!" I hissed as quietly as I could manage.

"Ungh." His hand shot out from under his blanket and he moved his hand around as if trying to reach for something. He reached a little further and fell off the sofa. I frowned.

"Bloody alarm," Skylar grumbled and opened his eyes, "hey, wait-" He looked up at me and his face broke out in a huge grin. "Hey."

"Hey." I frowned at him. "How did we end up here?" I waved my arms around to emphasise that we were in my living room.

"I called Luke when you were asleep to give us a lift home. He said I could stay at yours as long as I was gone by six thirty and I didn't try any 'funny business' with you." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Eww!" I said elbowing him, "How did you get Luke's number?"

"He gave it to me when you were getting ready. He's really protective of you y'know that?"

"Yeah." We sat in silence him holding my hand rubbing his thumb across my knuckles.

He broke the silence. "You snored for a bit."

I thew my arms up into the air. "Great! Well done! You ruined the moment!" We both laughed. I peeked up at him through my lashes. "Did I really snore?"

He threw back his head and laughed even louder. "I love pulling your leg. Of course you didn't snore." I frowned at him and turned away crossing my arms. "Aww c'mon you can't be angry at me." He put his arms around me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder. "Have I told you, you're also immensely cute when you're asleep," I still didn't reply "and when you're angry." I felt a smile spead across my face. "See!" He pointed triumphantly, "I knew you wouldn't be able to keep up the act!"

"Shhh!" I said "Go back home now before Luke hears us and comes down!" I gave him a peck on he cheek. "Bye!"

He pouted. "Is that all I'm getting?"

I folded my arms in front of me. "Yes. Now go!"

***

School passed uneventful. I got a lift in that morning. I told Luke I wanted a lift because I got extra time to lay in bed but truthfully I was scared of seeing Skylar go back to Eric again and treat me like dirt. Lunchtime went fast with Soph, Hayley, El and I practicing extremely hard for Band Act on Friday and we didn't pause to eat. I noticed Skylar in the canteen as I ran to grab a sandwich before History but I got my sandwich and left before he could notice me. My Religion teacher had a go at me for my ripped tights but then again she seems to every lesson so there was nothing new going on. My foot was now well enough so I didn't need crutches but I was still limping slightly. When I came out of the music block to get the bus Skylar stood there waiting for me. Damn. He beamed at me.

"What's up with him?" Hayley whispered to me, "Last time I saw you two together you were at each others throats!" But before I got a chance to tell her that we still hated each other he picked me up and swung me round planting a kiss on my lips. Hayley just raised her eyebrows and walked away. Traitor.

"Skylar!" I protested, "Put me down! People are staring!"

"Let them stare." He looped his arm round my waist. "It's so good to be with you."

Before I could stop myself the words were out of my mouth. "Its good to be with you too." He looked at me like a child who had just opened his presents on Christmas day.

"So she finally admits it!"

"Admits what?"

"That you love me of course!" I opened my mouth to protest but he swooped down and kiss me. I felt my barriers melting away and I tangled my hands into his hair, pulling him closer to me.

"Ahem." There stood Mr Vayner but instead of looking angry he looked... pleased? Before I could open my mouth so say something, although I don't know what I was going to say, he held up his finger, walked round us and carried on down the drive.

"Well that was weird," I mumbled to myself. Skylar and I got on the bus. Being with Skylar switched on my savant gift so as soon as I got onto the bus I was tuned in and I could hear everyone's intentions in my head.

Get them.

I didn't wait to see who wanted to 'get us'. "Skylar!" I hissed and dragged him off the bus. "RUN!" I yelled.

We ran along the pavement converse thudding on the concrete until we could run no more.