A Bunch of Apologies

Well...McCree dun goofed in the previous chapter, so here's the next one, loves.

Enjoy! :*

Hanzo curled in his confinement, his faded attire thrown carelessly onto the floor as a dejected pile of ruffled cloth. He hugged himself, running his palms up and down his muscled arms.
To his misfortune, the pain of awhile ago failed to stay under his mask of indifference, and the merman dug his nails at the skin under them, the overwhelming pain in his chest making everything else numb, making the blood rush to his head it almost burst.

Amidst the faint sound of his heart breaking into pieces, he heard the clatter of tiny, hard objects rattling across the old molding floor. Gazing down with a hazy field of sight, he could discern white specks scattered about here and there. Realizing what they were only fueled his smothering anguish, and he couldn't believe some filthy pirate had reduced him into something so wretched, so pathetic in a matter of a few words.

"Every pirate's pest, am I right? Their good for nothin' asses are worth gold, though."

Is that how the captain really saw him as? Is this the respect McCree held for him?

Right when they were getting along, right after he fucking saved his goddamn life, and he pulled shit like that behind Hanzo's back.

Well, the merman's mistake for thinking highly of a man, and a pirate nonetheless.

So apparently that was what the siren meant to McCree: a sea menace who is good for nothing but getting gold, and once they were of no use, well...

Hanzo's thick throat waved as he swallowed the ball of dread that came with the thought of suffering the same fate as some of his kin, and his broad fingers brushed at his collarbone, right at the base of his neck, checking just to make sure he was still breathing, and that his head was still intact his person.

Could Jesse really do that?

Kill him? Dispose of him after he's done his end of the bargain?

Right at the moment, there were red flags everywhere that foretold him that it was certainly the case, and the thought of escape quickly crawled back into his agitated mind.

"Han?" Another voice crept into all the commotion running amock his head. "Hanzo, please, are ya in here?"

The wooden floors creaked louder under the weight of the captain's approaching form,and as fast as he could, Hanzo shot up to grab at the curtains and fling it haphazardly to the side to cover himself from any prying eyes.

He knew Jesse could just easily pull it back as it was before...

But eh, what the heck. Hanzo's mind was putty and he couldn't care less about anything anymore.

And just as expected, the hanging fabrics were drawn back without so much mindful thought or permission.

"Han!" Jesse exclaimed as his chest gave out to a sigh of relief. "I thought you'd run off."

"I wanted to," Hanzo fired back, his voice raspy and low. "But your stupid men saw me coming and guarded the shore line."

"Han-"

"Don't!" the merman interrupted fiercely, his attempt at civility crumbling like a house on soft foundation.

When Jesse saw the familiar tawny orbs turning into slits, his boot took a cautious step back, and he soughed as the wound in his heart became all the more unbearable.

"Look, whatever I said to Reyes, I don't really think that of you," he tried explaining, pulling his cowboy hat off of his head--a gesture that rubbed off on him when times were looking bleak. "I swear Han, I just said those so he wouldn't suspect a thing. He's got his eye on you for some time, and I don't want to put you into any danger. I'm...I'm real sorry."