One Last Look

Hey......this ain't the trial yet, I kid.

Ok this chapter is shorter than the others, but the next one will be kinda long. So, sorry about that! :3

Please vote if you enjoyed loves! :*

"So...you admiral now, huh? Well would ya look at that," Jesse asked as his head limply sloshed between Duncan's and Thomas' stiff shoulders, moving along with the boat's motions against the waves.

"Rear admiral," Morrison clarified gruffly, "two stars."

At the moment he was tending to Jesse's arm, making sure that the medics' bandage work wouldn't fall apart and that even pressure was always applied. With the guidance of past experiences unfolding before him, he also saw to it that the captain wouldn't fall asleep at all costs; a dead pirate wasn't of much use or value inside the court room.

They would have wasted time and resources coming here in the first place if such a thing were to happened, and the mere thought sent shivers of bitterness running through his efficient person.

Think of all the stuff I could've done with that time.

"Nggh--easy now, partner," McCree coughed without notice and startled Jack from where he sat. "Ya don't want ta choke the life out of mah arm."

"S-Sorry," the rear admiral muttered without making any eye contact whatsoever, adjusting his strength to the desired grip. The lack of any sound coming from this handsome blond was amusing to Jesse, and since he had nothing but time and darkness, he decided to give in to his curiosities and opened his mouth to start the mischief.

"Ya don't talk much do you?" McCree inquired with a grin, watching as deft gloved hands got smeared with sanguine smudges.

"So should you," Morrison reproved, finally looking up with a snap of the head, and in the next second, sharp blue eyes met brown ones. "In case you get too comfortable, I don't fancy mingling with the likes of you."

"A handsome, rough scallywag?"

"No, a criminal."

McCree's smile suddenly dropped, and so did his eyelids. For a moment, the rear admiral thought he had finally snuffed Jesse's coy, smug spirits, until he realized something. Jack's crisp orbs shrunk in alarm, remembering the minute responsibility he had to uphold against the wounded prisoner. Immediately, his bottom left the wood of his seat and he slapped McCree across the face, shooting a spike of pain across the pirate's head that momentarily drove away the fatigue.

"The hell-!"

"You know you can't sleep, pirate!" Morrison scolded with a stiff, shaking finger pointed at the silenced pirate's face. "Don't try to outrun the law by dying before your execution day."

"What's the point of a trial if they're gonna just hang me anyway?" McCree fired back, bloodshot eyes circling with indignation.

"It's a formal occasion." Morrison made sure to enunciate the third word. "Just to make it clear to the people of England that we don't kill people willy-nilly just for the heck of it. We prove that there were crimes committed, and that there will be appropriate punishments exercised."

"Don't talk appropriate in front of my face when you're wearin' the coats of the people responsible for the murder of my pa," McCree seethed, taking Jack aback, judging from the slight raise of his brows. "You look just like one o' em. Y'all left me with nothin'. But in all truthfulness, I got ya to thank: I wouldn't be the greatest captain of the seas you know now if it weren't for the whole lot of you. I'd probably have been a common merchant or...I dunno, somethin' lame-"