Chapter 2

Natasha, Clint and you watched a movie that night... though truthfully, the three of you did more talking than watching. They wanted to know everything you knew about Bucky, which wasn't much. But you did find yourself thinking he was kind of cute.

After the movie, you headed back to your room to do some reading. Walking down the hallway towards your room, you saw light peeking out Bucky's door so you thought you would check in on him. Just then, he walked out of his room and saw you. His face look relieved.

"Hey, (Y/N), how was dinner?" he asked, stopping in front of you.

"Great," you said, "Clint can really cook. How was your shopping trip?"

He let out a little sigh and held back an eye roll, "I guess shopping is still not my thing... not Steve's either. Let's just say, we struggled to find everything." His frustration was evident though he was trying not to complain. He looked back at your face which you were trying to keep from smiling since he brought up Steve.

"You like Steve," he said, with the hint of a smile on his face.

"Oh, no... no," you said, shaking your head.

"You do," he grinned and pointed to your face, "your cheeks are lighting up."

You looked at the floor and laughed to yourself. "Is it that obvious?"

"I don't think he knows, if that's what you mean," he said. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be intrusive like that."

"It's okay," you said. You had a feeling that he was a good guy, despite his reputation and the fact that you didn't know him at all. "I just push that feeling down. He's the captain, it's not a good idea."

"Well," he said calmly, "he'd be lucky to have you."

"You are very suave, Sergeant Barnes," you smiled, teasing him back.

"What?! I gotta take care of my boy," he smiled. Wow, that smile ranks right up there with Steve's.

"Do you need any help? - I was just going to read but I'd be glad to help if you need anything," you offered.

"Actually... yeah," he took a deep breath. "Steve forgot to show me where the linens are."

"Oh, sure, no problem," you said, "follow me." You took him around a corner to the linen closet. "This is where all the goodies are."

"You're the best," he said, looking at the rows of towels and sheets.

You grabbed the sheets he needed and he grabbed a few towels. "So what else do you need?" you asked. "Oh, the washing machine ...Come on," you said, motioning for him to follow. A few steps away was another closet, which you opened to reveal the washer and dryer. "Do you know how...?"

"I do," he smiled. "You really are a sweetheart."

That had you wondering exactly what Steve had told him but there's no way you were opening that can of worms tonight. He already knew too much and you were afraid he might tell Steve. How embarrassing would THAT be?

"Just being a good neighbor," you said. "Mister Rogers taught me well."

"Steve?" he asked, genuinely looking confused.

You couldn't help the uncontrollable laughter that poured out of you, even doubling over. When you caught your breath, you said "I'm sorry, I wasn't laughing at you."

The poor guy looked a little embarrassed.

"Well, let me be the first to teach you about this then. Come with me," you said and padded off to your bedroom. You sat down on your bed and patted the spot next to you, flipping open your laptop. Bucky hesitantly sat on your bed, looking around your room as you opened YouTube.

"You have a record player!" he exclaimed. "Would you mind?"

"Not at all," you gave him a warm smile. He walked over to the record player and dropped the needle, watching it like it was the most amazing thing he'd seen in ages. "You can put a different album on, if you want."

"No, this is fine," he said looking back at you, "chances are I won't know much of your music anyway."

Not disappointing you, Otis Redding started crooning once again as he was still on the record player. You felt a little strange listening to a love song in your room with this guy who you'd just met but he was in total awe. He rejoined you on the bed, closing his eyes and listening to the record spin.

"I miss the crackle," he said.

"I know that feeling," you smiled.

"I can't believe you have this... aren't you too young?" he asked.

"Actually, I had a record player when I was a very little kid - but this one was my Grandmother's and we shared a love of music."

"That's really nice," he said, looking at you.

"Make yourself comfortable, kid. Get ready for Mister Roger's Neighborhood." You enthusiastically hit play knowing this was probably the start of your first inside joke with Bucky. It would be nice to have another friend.

After ten minutes or so of watching, Bucky just started to laugh himself silly. "I can see why that was so funny to you now."

"I got lots of other good stuff to teach you," you kidded. "Stick with me."

As the two of you laughed, you were startled by a voice in the doorway. "This looks like trouble."

You turned to see Steve smiling and watching. Bucky, who had practically rolled backwards with laughter, sat up and straightened his back. "Hey Steve."

Turning off the video, you tried to control your smile and also greeted him.

"Buck, you have everything you need?" he asked.

"Yeah, (Y/N) here got me all squared away," Bucky responded, patting you on the shoulder. He rose up off the bed to walk over to Steve, turning around halfway to say "Thanks for everything."

"You bet. See you later," you called out.

A few minutes later, you heard a light knock on your door and you got up to answer it. Opening the door, you saw Steve and stepped aside so he could walk in.

Steve's face was very happy and he whispered, "I really appreciate what you did for Buck."

"It's no problem," you whispered back.

"But you went above and beyond to make him feel at home," he said.

"Steve," you said, laying your hand on his arm, "it was easy, he's nice. Don't worry so much. He's going to be okay."

"I know," he smiled at you, leaning in to hug you. "Thanks though."

"You're welcome," you said into his chest. You hadn't had a Steve hug in a while and he was a great hugger.

"I haven't seen him have that much fun since... well, since about 1945." Steve's voice cracked a little.

"He's going to be okay," you said, hugging him tighter. "I'm right here and I can keep an eye on him. He's lucky to have a friend like you."

"Bucky's family," he sighed and pulled back, stopping to kiss your forehead and hold his hands on your elbows. "Thanks again," he said as he walked out the door, pulling it closed slowly so there was no noise.

What just happened? Your face felt warm as you took in a steady breath and headed for your bathroom to get ready for bed. Before you crawled in bed, you played Otis Redding again. Laying in bed, you remembered Steve hugging you and you wished that the conversation had gone another direction. Tears started gathering under your eyelids as you thought about how much you felt for that man... the man you could never have. This man that made your heart light up and he didn't even know it. Every time you looked into his eyes, it broke your heart a little bit more. You let out a soft cry before realizing you had a neighbor now. Keeping it together, you rolled over and closed your eyes. Natasha was the only one who knew how you felt about Steve and it would have to stay that way.