Chapter 5

You woke feeling the bed move beneath you, your body was so stiff, it was hard to move. The back of your head ached from leaning in the same place on a headboard all night. You cracked your eyes open to see Bucky looking at you.

"Hey," you whispered. "Did you sleep okay?"

"I did, thanks for staying," he smiled, humbly.

You rose up, your body jarring as you tried to move it. "I think I'm going to go take a hot shower," your voice came out in more of a moan than you'd intended.

"Aww," he laughed softly, "I'm sorry."

"Oh, I'll be fine," you smiled and headed for the door.

"(Y/N)..." he called out, "thank you."

You nodded and closed the door behind you. Turning around to walk to your door, you saw a figure coming towards you, hesitating and stopping. It was Steve. He was obviously just returning from his morning run. "Good morning," he finally said.

"Hi Steve," you replied, tucking into your room. As you shut yourself in, you leaned your forehead on the door and sighed. Well, this changes everything.

***

Later in the day, close to dinner time, you were sitting in the living area reading a book when the door opened and Bucky walked in. He looked around to see who else was nearby but no one was. He sat down on the ottoman next to your feet.

"I'm sorry..." he said quietly, looking a little sick.

"What? What do you mean?" you asked.

"I think I blew your chances... with...." he trailed off, not wanting to say the name out loud.

"Buck, you didn't ruin anything, there was no chance."

"What if there was?" he asked. "And I ruined that for you? For him?"

"Bucky..." you sighed.

"Well, I'm just saying he didn't seem happy with me this morning. I didn't get the chance to tell him why you were there. I'm going to talk to him later, clear it up," he said.

"No, Bucky... just let it go. He's going to want to know why you care so much," you said.

"What? Are you over him?" he asked, waiting for an answer.

"I... I have no idea," you confessed. "I really have no idea what I should be feeling. Maybe I'm growing past it, I don't know."

"Well then, maybe you should move past it..." he gave you a sly smile, "so stop playing that song every time he hurts you."

"He hasn't done anything to hurt me," you said firmly.

"Then stop feeling sorry for yourself," he said, getting up and moving away. You could tell, he was angry and you were in disbelief. He shook his head and walked out of the room, leaving you feeling cold.