Chapter 3

"Your secret's safe with me," Bucky said, looking at you seriously as you took the stairs up to the kitchen the next morning. The two of you had just been laughing seconds earlier but it seemed he wanted to say this to you while you were still alone.

"Secret?" you asked.

"Steve," he said softly, sounding surprised you'd forget. "Unless you want me to tell him?"

"Oh, please no," you said, giving him an intense look.

"Okay, no problem," he said as he rubbed your back. "Don't worry, I promise."

"Thanks, Bucky. I've been trying to get myself over it for a while," you said. "He's just not going to have it."

He looked at you, wondering.

"He's my superior," you said, "and besides, there's just no way..."

"What do you mean? - Like he wouldn't be into you?" he asked.

"Of course he wouldn't," you said, as if there were no doubt in your mind.

"Wow," he let out a little surprised laugh, "you don't give yourself much credit, do you?"

You stopped and turned to him on the stairs. "I'm not looking for pity or anything. I just want you to know that."

"I know," he said. You believed he really understood you. "I'm sorry, maybe it was too personal to bring up. I just wanted you to know that I won't say a word."

"There's something you should know about me - I'm basically an open book with my friends. I don't hold back. Having... feelings for Steve is the only secret I have."

"So I guess that makes me a friend?" he asked.

"You bet," you smiled at him. "Come on, let's get some breakfast."

***

The next few weeks, you got to know Bucky faster than you'd expected. It was really comforting to have someone next door and not feel all alone.

During a group training, Steve was pairing people off to spar when he looked at Bucky. You could tell he was struggling with his decision until Bucky said "How about I take (Y/N)?" Steve agreed and you two went to a corner to start.

"Aren't you sick of me yet?" you laughed.

"Who could get sick of you?" he smiled.

"Barnes, I do believe you are a flirt," you said, moving into a lunge.

"I may have heard that a time or two," he said, moving towards you.

You kicked his leg away from him and watched as he fell back. In a split second, you jumped onto his torso and smiled, "Flirting Isn't going to save you."

"Ohhh?" he laughed. "Is that so, doll?" Bucky flipped you behind his head and onto your back. You flipped yourself up and put your foot in the center of his chest.

"Buck, you're holding back," Steve said, walking towards you and laughing softly. He rested his hand on your arm. "You could learn a lot from Bucky, he had the highest training. Take advantage of it."

"Well that would be great but, you know, he's holding back, Steve," you joked.

"Heyyyy, I'm right here," Bucky laughed from under your foot.

"Sorry, pal," Steve said, reaching down to offer him a hand to stand up. "And by the way, she's a real firecracker... she'll keep you on your toes."

You looked up at Bucky standing above you now and he grinned, "You're on. I could use a tough girl to keep me on my toes."

"Why don't you two focus on teaching instead of sparring, for now," Steve urged and walked away to check on another duo.

Bucky leaned towards you and kept his voice low, "He's jealous now." He looked proud of himself.

"Noooo," you said, shaking your head.

"Trust me, I know that face," he grinned. "Okay, let's work out..."