Chapter 9

Later in the afternoon when you got back to your room to shower, you found that a note had been slipped under your door.

Hi Sweets,

I ran out for the afternoon. Meet you at the party? Can't wait to see you...

Buck

You smiled as you folded the note back up and slipped it into your dresser drawer. The crazy grinning continued through your shower... and then as you packed the things you needed to take to Natasha's room.

"I'm surprised you wanted to get ready up here," she said when you arrived.

"Well, this dress is not like anything I usually wear... I could use a little help with makeup tonight," you said.

"I love it!" she said, taking the dress out of the dress bag. "This is gorgeous!"

"It's different for me," you said.

"It really is... but it's going to be great. You're right... different make up. I think dramatic neutrals." Natasha carried the dress to her bed and laid it down. The gorgeous dress was party-length and a little fluffy, made of layers of sheer fabric in champagne color, with silver and gold lines of sequins bursting out from the waist. It was a bargain find that had been waiting in your closet for the right time. For some reason, tonight just felt like the night.

As promised, Natasha did your make up in dramatic neutrals and even you thought it looked stunning. To keep things more casual, you left your hair in loose curls. The champagne colored heels you wore made you taller than you were used to but at least they made your legs look great. Dangly earrings and a few bracelets and you were set, you and Natasha headed up to the party. Your anticipation was building with every step you took until you walked in the doors and heard music.

Natasha linked her arm through yours and walked you in the room as you looked for Bucky. "I don't see him," she said.

You shook your head, "No, me either. Maybe he's not back yet."

"There's Steve," she said and the two of you started to walk towards him.

When he looked at you and Natasha, you gave him a little wave and he smiled, turning back to his conversation. He instantly did a double take, turning back to look at the two of you, his mouth falling open slightly. It was too late when he closed his mouth, you'd already seen him do it. You laughed to yourself and said "Did you see that?" under your breath to Natasha.

"I did," she said, smiling and clenching her teeth.

You looked at the floor and whispered, "Look at him in that tight shirt... you would think I'd be nervous."

"You're not?" she looked at you.

"Nope," you smiled. "I think he's lost his superpower over me."

You looked back over to Steve standing at the bar and the man he'd been talking to had turned around to see what Steve was looking at.

"Oh my God!" you said out loud as you started walking faster towards the man. You reached out and put your hands on his smooth face. "Bucky! You look so different... Oh my goodness!"

His smile made him look like a little boy, especially now with a clean-shaven face and a shorter haircut.

"I can't get over how different you look!" you smiled at him. You weren't sure if anyone else was picking up on the relationship but you didn't really care.

He laughed at your comments and even looked a little embarrassed. "Yeah, well I thought it was time..." he said, trailing off with a little grin.

"I like it," you said as he quickly rubbed his hand on your lower back. No one seemed to actually notice.