Chapter Sixteen

Eloise

How is this possible?

I couldn't move. My feet were glued to the floor, my gaze captured by the one across from me. There's no way it really him... But it was.

He had her eyes. Those damned, dark, blue eyes that always looked black in the darkness.

"Keep up slow poke!" She teased as she darted away from me. I chased after her, my wolf on the edge of her seat as we watched Cara's body soar through the air and over the edge of the cliff. We raced after her, our stomachs dropping to our feet, as the ground was suddenly gone, replaced by a glassy smooth body of water .

Darkness surrounded me, a cold blanket of water wrapping around my entity. I felt the current begin to drag me down, but something else pulled me up.

My eyes shot open as I broke through the surface. I sucked in a breath full of air, my lungs squeezing tightly as the beat of my heart tried to slow down. Cara was right next me, a large grin plastered on her face as her black eyes twinkled with mischief. "You do know how to swim, right?"

"Of course I do," I giggled as I splashed a handful of water her way, "It was just relaxing down there."

"This water is cold and dark...how is that relaxing to you?"

"It just is...." My voice faded as the color of her eyes started to change. The blackness faded out until there was nothing left but a dark blue.

I'd noticed it before in her brothers. One moment their eyes would be black, and the next moment blue. I'd been thinking that maybe it was the lighting that changed the color, but now I was sure they had changed colors, "Hey Cara...can I ask you something?"

"Sure." she said as she rolled over onto her back and began to swim away from me.

"H-Have you ever noticed that your eye's change colors?"

"Well yeah...I mean I am an Alpha..."

"No I mean...When I came to the surface of the water your eyes were black, but then they changed to dark blue..."

Cara stopped swimming and stared at me. She tilted her head to the side and smiled at me, it was a look I'd never seen before on her, "You must be seeing things," she grinned, "Eyes don't do that..."

Now I was sure of it.

"Do Cara's eyes change colors?" I asked suddenly, "And I don't mean from blue to gold like every other Alpha."

The man stared at me, his eyes eerily empty. If I hadn't just been talking to the vampire before hand, I would have sworn both of them were statues with how still they were.

"Yes my dear Eloise," I turn and see Lucas leaning against the wall, "Her eyes do change color. From blue to black. I'm sure you've seen it before. On her, Titan, Trent, and Isadona. It's a family trait."

"Which means," I turn back and face the man sitting on the couch, "You're Cedric Carmichael, Cara's maternal grandfather, aren't you?"

"I'm impressed," The vampire next to him snickers, "You didn't tell me she was this smart Lucas."

"How are you alive?" I ask, ignoring her comment to Cara's Beta.

"Sit," he holds a hand out towards one of the recliners, "And I will explain it all."

"I think I'm good with standing..."

"Then you are wasting my time." He tells me. I look back towards Lucas who just eyes the recliner. Are they seriously not going to tell me anything unless I sit down. I look around again and realize my thoughts were correct.