Red pt. 2

"Are you going to growl at everyone all day?" Perry asked tentatively as she watched Carmilla, biting into her sandwich. Carmilla, Laf, and Perry were sitting at the lunch table. In actuality, Carmilla sat at the table alone. Laf and Perry joined her. It was something that became routine for the group. Carmilla would sit alone with a book and her lunch, the others would join her. Another normality is Carmilla stealing Laura's cookies as lunch progressed. But, today wasn't like that. Hence why Carmilla was growing more and more broody.

Laura had taken it upon herself to invite Danny over to join them for lunch. The two were standing in the doorway of the cafeteria talking to Danny's best friend, Mel- who was every bit as snarky as Carmilla was. Mel was probably the closest person to herself that Carmilla saw in the entire school, and the two didn't bother trying to get along. Generally, they stayed out of each other's way. They only needed their people. Danny was Mel's Laura. The thought of comparing her relationship to Danny's nearly caused Carmilla to shudder. She just shook it off, growling at Perry as a response.

"She does that every day, Perr. Her growl is quite impressive. Lifelike." Laf grabbed their chips from Perry's bag, splitting it open and pouring half in Perry's container.

"So is my bite, Sci-Fi. Care to find out?" Carmilla gave them a dark smile.

"It's just lunch, kitty. She's not screwing her." Lafontaine wrapped an arm over Carmilla's shoulder. Carmilla only recently allowed anyone other than Laura in their small band of friends to touch her, which Laf quite clearly took advantage of. Perry smacked Laf's head, earning a slight chuckle from Carmilla.

"It's a lunch with Xena," She growled again, "Besides, if anyone's getting screwed here, it's- Hey there, Cupcake!"

She looked to her best friend with a soft smile before burying her face in her book once she noticed who came with her.

"Hey, Carm! Hey guys! You all remember Danny...my friend."

Way to be subtle, Frosh.

Gods kill me.

Wow.

"Hey guys. It's nice to see you again," Danny frowned once she set her sights on Carmilla, "Carmilla."

"Xena."

"Let's play nice, shall we," Laura cleared her throat to intercede, sitting down as Danny pulled off her backpack for her, "Thank you."

"No problem, babe." Danny smiled, taking a seat next to her.

Stake me! I beg of you!

Lunch after that was pretty nice, aside from Carmilla being nose deep in her book, refusing to answer a question with more than one word. By now, Laura was eating her normal package of cookies. She didn't even push the packet in Carmilla's direction today! How rude! Carm took a few anyway. Until...

"Laura, honey, I think you've had enough."

Did she just-

The table of friends grew silent and Carmilla was sure that she could hear Laura's heart shattering from her seat opposite the small girl. She even peered over her book in shock, eyes locked on her best friend. Laura's face was frozen for a second as she collected herself.

"What?" She let the treat fall back into its package.

Uh-oh.

"You've eaten nearly the entire thing. I think you've had enough." Danny reaches over Laura to grab for the chocolate chip cookies.

No, but I have.

Carmilla slammed her book closed on the tabletop and quickly pulled the snack of Danny's reach, giving her a look.