Surprise

Laura checked her phone again. She'd spent 15 minutes in the parking lot waiting for Carmilla to arrive. Her father had dropped her off thinking the dark-haired girl would be waiting, but Laura was alone. She'd even worn a beautiful white-lace dress and done her hair with subtle braids in celebration of her birthday- and to impress Carmilla. Laura couldn't remember if she'd ever done this when they were friends. Maybe so. Were they ever really just friends at all? Maybe not.

"Happy birthday, Frosh!" Lafontaine pulled Laura in for a tight hug.

"Happy birthday, Laura. Here's a gift from Lafontaine and I." Perry joined the hug with a gentler touch. She handed the white box to Laura, taking a step back. Perry loved birthdays. It was one of the perfect moments to bake something for someone else.

Laura thanked her friends, taking them in as they pulled away. Both were matching. Black skinny jeans- Perry in a blue shirt, Laf in yellow- and matching black shoes. Perry was in boots and Laf in converse (You're welcome, babe.)

They were cute outfits, just not how these two dressed. Often rarely did they dress alike unless it was a special occasion. So, what were these two up to?

"Uh...Nice outfits guys. What's going on?" Laura asked. Perry and Laf looked at one another, shrugged, and waited for Laura to open her gift. Rolling her eyes, Laura pulled at the satin bow, "You two, I swear..."

Removing the top, Laura squealed. Perry had baked her chocolate chip cookie birthday brownies. She'd been trying every year to give Laura a different concoction. Last year's red velvet rainbow sprinkles cupcakes were a thing to beat. And boy did she just deliver.

"Perry, these look delicious! Thank you!" Laura took her eyes off the chocolate squares to notice a card. Grabbing it, she handed her brownies to Laf to hold. Opening it, she moved her head in time to dodge fireworks shooting out, spelling Happy birthday, Laura!

"After the initial opening, it's a hologram." Laf took pride in their creation.

"Thank you, Laf! I love it! How'd you-"

"Gotta go! See you later, Laur." Laf shoved the brownies back to Laura before grabbing Perry and running into the school.

"...What in the name of Skrillex."

.........

Laura was starting to get worried. She hadn't seen Carmilla since she disappeared before breakfast. She hadn't returned any of Laura's calls or replied to any of her texts. It was after school and still no sign of Carmilla; and, Laura had already eaten all her brownies. She usually told Laura in some way that she wasn't going to be there. Once, Carmilla spray-painted "Sorry, Cutie" on Laura's locker. Luckily, Lafontaine had paint remover...weirdly, Lafontaine had paint remover. But, Carmilla never missed school on Laura's birthday. Ever.

Laura leaned against her locker, texting away on her phone for the 50th time since 5th period. Perry was sure Carmilla was fine. Laf laughed at her for being such a frosh. Sherman was busy eating donuts with Bob but offered to threaten Carmilla with bear spray. Bob told Laura not to worry. Tumblr offered to hire secret agents. Instagram thought the 'Missing Person' photo of Carmilla was hot and nobody would give that back. Twitter obsessed over Carmilla's jawline. And Carmilla still wasn't replying!

"ARGH!" Laura banged her head against her locker, attracting attention from others around her.

"Hey. Careful. I like that head."

Laura turned to tell whoever that was that they could drink Skele-Gro but paused once she saw their face. Dressed in a white button down, black skinny jeans, and suspenders stood Carmilla Karnstein.