Chapter 2

EDITED FOR RADISH JUNE 22nd, 2020

Talia's POV

"Hey," Lillian hits my shoulder, "Maybe you'll find someone else at The Spark. Someone who's lost their mate."

"Maybe." I say. I've lost hope in love a long time ago. Lillian still thinks that I can be redeemed or whatever- but I know I can't.

When we get to the school, we find our bus. We tell our teacher that we've arrived and she marks us down. The bus is already half full but we find a seat together near the back.

"How long is this ride again?" She asks me.

"About five hours."

"Ugh!" Lillian exclaims- being dramatic as always. "This ride better be worth it. I swear if my mate isn't here and I have to ride back with nothing accomplished, I will murder someone."

"Easy." I laugh. "You'll find your mate."

She looks up at me with hopeful eyes, "You think?"

"I do. And if not at The Spark then some other time." I grab her hand, "Until then, you'll have me."

Lillian smiles and thanks me. Before the bus even starts the journey, she falls asleep on my shoulder.

I pray to the goddess that she'll meet her mate within these next few days. She deserves to be happy more than any other person I know. For years, she's taken care of me. She's looked out for me always without questions. A selfish part of me wishes that she would always be in my life but it's impossible. If her mate was in Graceful, she'd find him already. Her mate was going to be from another pack. Hopefully, she and her mate will move in together in Graceful.

I don't end up falling asleep. I watch world go by through the window. My headphones blare music into my ears. The closer I realize we're getting, I start to feel more anxious. I don't understand why- it's not like I have anything to worry about.

When I see a sign saying, "Welcome To Long Island" , I wake up Lillian, who slept the entire ride. When I tell her where we are, her eyes widen and she quickly sits up.

"Students, we will be arriving at our hotel in fifteen minutes. Please gather your belongings and get ready to arrive. And remember, all packs have separated into different hotels so do not be discouraged when you don't find them there." Our teacher announces.

Lillian smiles, "I'm so excited!"

I smile, "Me too."

I suppose it wasn't a lie. A part of me was happy to watch all of my classmates meet the love of their lives.

-        -       -

The hotel is beautiful. It was huge, bigger than the pack house. Everything was golden- the walls, floors and ceiling. It had this large light which resembled a chandelier except the lights looked like waves forming a sphere. There were a few tables and chairs set up near the front desk where I comfortably sit, waiting until my name is called so I can grab my room key.

"Talia Reed!" I hear Alpha Elijah call. I walk over to him and grabbed the key from his hand. "Good luck." He softly said with a smile that barely crossed his face.

"Thanks." I say back.

Alpha Elijah, like the rest of my pack, knows that I've been rejected. but he knows more than most. One, because he's the Alpha and two because he's technically family. My Aunt married his Uncle after both their mates had passed away. A second chance love I suppose. I guess that's what I'll have to wait for.

I mean, we don't hang out on a daily basis but he's always at birthday parties and family reunions. From the conversations we've had, he's almost desperate to find his mate. He's almost thirty- a very late age to find a mate. He's traveled all over the world but with no luck. I know he assumes he can't find his mate because she isn't from a pack. She's human. It makes sense but it's unfortunate for him. Alpha Elijah is a good man- a great one. He deserves to find love.

My room is on the 28 of 30 floors. I open the door to find a standard but beautiful suite. There was a mini kitchen with a microwave, countertop and sink. Next was a small living room with space for only a couch, table and a stand with a television on top. Lastly was the empty bed. It was probably queen sized with about ten unnecessary decorative pillows. There was another T.V mounted on the wall facing the bed.

It was mandatory that no one was to share a room. Usually, when mates find each other, they complete the process in the matter of days. And no one wanted to share a room with someone whos having sex.

Luckily, my room is next to Lillian's because our last names are listed below one another on the attendance sheet. There is a door to conjoin the two but I leave it closed for now. I just want to unpack and get ready for dinner.

I hop into the shower for a quick body wash. I'm sure I smell nasty after the long car ride. After rinsing my body with soap, I turn the water off and wrap a towel around my body. I quickly dry myself off and find myself an outfit. I find a high neck t-shirt and shorts. The shirt covers my mark which is usually placed. Most are in the center of your neck. Mine is cupping where my shoulder and neck meet. I assume because it was rushed and unplanned.

I don't do my makeup. I'm too lazy and I honestly don't care enough to make myself look presentable. I put my hair up and go knock on the door between mine and Lillian's room.

"Hey." She says opening the door.

"Wanna go get some dinner?" I suggest.

Her eyes widen, "Ugh, yes! I'm starving!" I chuckle at her while she comes through the door. We walk out of my room and to the elevators.

In the hotel are three restaurants. One is run by the hotel, the other is called Japanese Steakhouse and the last is Applebee's. We both decide to go to Applebee's. A waitress shows us a booth and we sit down, looking at our menus. I order a cheeseburger with fries while Lillian gets a grilled sandwich.

"Are you nervous about tomorrow?" I ask her before sipping on my drink.

"Extremely nervous but still excited. She says with a smile. "It's just that, if I find him, what's going to happen? What if he's everything I've dreamed of but it's not actually what I want or need. Or what if he's an áss. What if he treats me badly and fights about every little thing? And I'll understand if I don't find him here because maybe he's from another pack. It's just that I want him so badly."

"I get it." I tell her.

Her eyebrows raise, "You do?"

I nod my head. "It's like missing someone you've never met. but in the back of your head, you're terrified of missing them because you're scared of who they are."

"You're right." Lillian whispers. I start to see her eyes turn glossy and I now feel like a shitty friend. I should be getting her excited instead of putting her down.

"So, you brought your dresses right?" I ask and her face lights up once more.

"Of course I did! I can't wait for the one I wear tomorrow." Lillian exclaims. "It's my favorite of course because of how fancy it is. I'm just hoping that if I find my mate, I find him fast because then I'd have to buy a dress for the Mated Dinner."

I laugh at her, "Yeah, those dresses will go fast."

"I know! Luckily we are near the city so there'll be plenty of stores to shop in. If there weren't, I'd have to bring my claws out for the dress I wanted."

"I could see you doing that." I laugh and she joins in.

When our meals come, we're mostly silent while we enjoy our food. I keep looking at her, knowing that tonight might be our last meal together. When she finds her mate, she'll want to be around him 24/7- not that I'd blame her. I pray that she finds him and that he'll be the best mate in this world to her. but I also pray that once she leaves, she takes me with her.

YAY FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER
HOPE Y'ALL LIKED IT
LOVE YA
ARIA