Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of beeping. I forced my heavy eyelids open and  took in my surroundings. The hospital room was a pale blue, with cartoon fish painted on the walls. Next to my hospital bed was a monitor that showed my steady heartbeat and a bag filled with a clear liquid which was attached to my chest through a long plastic tube. What had happened? I tried to jog my memory but could only remember doctors and nurses buzzing
around me while I was lying on a cold operating table.
The door opened and I turned, hoping to see my parents or older brother. I was disappointed because a tall blond lady who wore a fake smile walked in. "Hello sweetie," the woman said in a sugary voice, "My name is Linda and I am a social worker. I have some good news and some bad news." I stared at her blankly, waiting for her to speak again. "The good news is that your surgery was successful and we found out what was wrong with you. The bad news is that well um....you have cancer," she said as if she had not just spoken the very words that made my world come crashing down. 
               Three Years Later
I woke up and rubbed my eyes. I turned my alarm off and climbed out of bed in my Harry Potter pajamas. Today you are starting over, I told myself. You are in a new town where your cancer does not matter.
I was excited about my new school, Midtown High, which specializes in science and technology. I have loved to build things since a very young age, and now I would be able to do it at school.
I promised myself that no one here would find out about my cancer, because I did not want to be treated any different. I have been cured for two years, but I still had to take annoying pills everyday to help my kidneys, which were damaged by a year  of chemotherapy. I took my pills with orange juice, ate my breakfast, and got dressed.
I decided to wear a plain army green t shirt and ripped jeans with my back and white converse. I was happy to see that I was finally at a normal  weight, because my disease had left me weak,skinny and frail. I was still skinny, but at least it was not that bad. I brushed my straight dirty blond hair which fell down to my shoulder blades and looked at the mirror to find my sea green eyes staring back at me. This was as ready as I would ever be.