Chapter 6

"So Peter, why weren't you at school today?" I asked, holding a bag of ice to my throbbing forehead.

  "I uhhh was not feeling very well," he said, "But I feel much better now.

"Yeah, well you definitely feel good enough to crash into teenage girls," I teased.

Peter's face flushed. "I'm so sorry about that."

"Don't worry about it, it's my fault. I'm such a klutz."

"What did I miss at school today?" Peter asked, turning his head to look at me.

I barely heard the question because I was too busy thinking about what Michelle said.

"He is hiding something."

"Mia?" Peter asked, snapping me back to reality.

"Oh sorry. Ughh.. nothing really. Just Jason Cooper being a jerk." I said, rolling my eyes.

"What did he do, did he hurt you?" Peter narrowed his eyes and looked as if he wanted to kill Jason.

I felt a rush of affection for Peter. He cares! How cute.

"He was just hitting on me," I reassured him, "I don't like him though. He gives me the creeps."

"Ok. As long as you're fine. By the way, we have to work on that history assignment."

"Yeah! I totally forgot. When do you want to work on it?"

"I can actually do it...." at that moment Peter's watch started beeping and his face went pale. "Never mind, I just remembered that I promised Aunt May that I would be home soon. How about after school tomorrow?"

"Sounds great. Want to do it here? We have computers and books.."

Peter was already running out of the library. "Perfect!"he called over his shoulder, "See you tomorrow!"

Michelle was right. He was definitely hiding something.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hi Mia!" Peter jogged toward me.

The school day went by quickly, and now Peter and I were heading to the library to work on our project.

"So, I was thinking we could do our project on Captain America, he is one of our most well known heroes," I said. Peter made a face and grimaced, as if remembering an injury.

"Yeah, but now he is a fugitive. Why don't we do Tony Stark? He is an amazing inventor and super hero." Peter's eyes glistened with admiration.

"Sure, he's cool. Why not?" I said and then smiled as I had a sudden thought, "Why don't we do our project on Spider-Man?"

Peter's eyes widened and his face reddened. "Th..that guy from YouTube? What do you think about him?"

My smile widened and I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "He is my favorite superhero. I wonder who he is.."

The truth is that Spider-Man saved my brother's life a few months before school had started, right after we moved to New York. There had been a runaway subway car, and Spider-Man had managed to stop it with his bare hands before it collided with another car. My brother was on that subway, and when he came home telling my family about how Spider-Man had saved him, we all cried. My parents had once again come really close to losing one of their children.

Peter blushed even more furiously and stuttered, "I think he's really cool too. But we don't have enough information him to do a whole assignment. Let's just stick with Tony Stark."

I thought I heard him mutter, "It's safer," but I could have just been my imagination.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After three hours of researching, laughing and talking, Peter and I decided to call it a night. I learned about Peter and his Aunt May, and how he loves science. I talked to him about my family, but did not mention anything about my disease. I didn't want him to treat me differently.

We mainly talked about our common interests, and conversing with Peter made me feel something I had not felt in a long time; free. I felt like the weight of the world, all the weight of my problems had been lifted of my shoulders. It was so relieving, that I could have stayed there with Peter all night, but reality came knocking when I checked the time.

"I'm so sorry Peter, but I have to head home. My parents will get worried," I sighed, wishing I could spend more time with him.

Peter's eyes dimmed and his smile wavered but he nodded. "It's cool, just let me walk you home."

"Peter, I may be new to this town but I don't need protecting," I frowned. I hated when people tried to help me. I don't need anyone's pity.

"I know you don't. But it would make me feel better knowing you got home safely," Peter pleaded.

I couldn't resist those eyes. "Ughh, fine."

Peter smiled, and together we walked out of the library.