Chapter 7

A sharp chill was in the air as Halloween rolled around. I checked my phone as I walked to Midtown.

Peter: Are we still on for Halloween tonight?
Me: We are a little to old for trick or treating...
Peter: 1st of all, no we are not! 2nd, it's not trick or treating. It's a surprise.
Me: Fine. See you at school.

I could not help but smile as I tucked my phone into my pocket. Peter and I hung out outside of school often, but just as good friends. However, when Michelle teased me saying that she was close to winning the bet, a small part of me kind of hoped that she would win too.
Midtown seemed busier than usual with everyone making plans for the night. Michelle walked towards me grinning. She wore a Stranger Things t-shirt with blue jeans and combat boots.

"What are you doing tonight Mich?" I called to her.

"Watching Stranger Things. What else is there to do?"

"You are welcome to join me and Peter if you want," I offered.

Michelle shook her head, smirking. "I don't want to interrupt your make-out time."

I gasped and punched her arm while she cackled wildly.

"He is one of my best friends. You know that Michelle."

"Sure...," Michelle said rolling her eyes as she dodged another punch.

I stood there glaring at her when I heard a husky voice whispering in my right ear.

"What are you doing tonight?"

I spun around to find myself staring into a pair of icy blue eyes.

Jason Cooper flashed one of his blinding white grins and cocked his head.

  "Did you hear me? What are your plans for tonight?" He asked again.

"I am doing something with one of my friends," I shrugged trying to act unbothered, "How about you?"

"I am taking you to watch a scary movie."

I shook my head. " I told you. I already have plans."

He looked at me angrily. He probably was not used to girls turning him down. I turned around and walked away to my locker.

In history Peter slipped me a note.

Are you ok?

I grabbed my pen and wrote,

I'm perfectly fine. Why?

You're scowling

I turned to Peter and smiled at him.

Better? I mouthed.

He nodded and gave me a thumbs up. I could not help but smile as I rolled my eyes.
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walked home, scrolling through my Instagram, as I suddenly felt a tug at my backpack.
I turned around wildly and threw a punch. With a thud, the mugger hit the ground groaning.

"Wow, nice swing."

I spun around and swung again. But my second "victim" had sidestepped out of the way just in time. The red in his costume was almost too bright for my eyes to bear.

Spider-Man

"Don't worry. I'm one of the good guys," he said putting up his hands in surrender, "I came to save you from the thief, but it seems that you handled yourself quite well."

The corners of my mouth turned down angrily before I remembered what Spider-Man man had done for my brother and my whole family.

I plastered on a smile for my brother's sake. I probably looked like a lunatic but phony smiles have never been my strong suit.

"Thank you Spider-Man, but in case you have not noticed, I don't need saving."

I heard him begin to say something as I stomped away, my eyes blinded with red.

I hate pity.