Chapter 4

I saw a familiar blue sweater next to my locker.

The butterflies started again and I scolded myself. Mia, he's just a boy. I walked up and started getting my books out of my locker, a small smile etched on my face.

Peter closed his locker, cleared his throat and stood there, looking at me. I felt my cheeks redden, and looked down.

"It was umm..really nice meeting you Mia," Peter stuttered, and I was glad he started the conversation so I did not have to.

"Yeah, you too," I said, sounding like an absolute idiot. "If it's on your way, can you show me where history is?" I asked nervously, "Ned didn't show it to me earlier."

  He looked somewhat relieved and smiled, which made the butterflies turn into bees; I was so nervous it hurt.

   "Erm, so Ned said that you like to invent things," Peter began, talking quickly.

"Yeah!" I smiled, unable to contain my inner nerd, "I like to re-engineer different things. You know, by like rewiring and stuff."

Peter nodded, and his mind drifted off, as if he was thinking about something. I looked at him, and he subtly shook his head, snapping back to reality.

"That's really cool. I like to invent stuff too. I made these really awesome web shoot....," his voice trailed off, and his eyes widened as if he told some sort of secret.

"Never mind," he said, "tell me more about you. Where do you come from? Have you always lived in New York or.."

I had a standard response for this. "I uhh lived in Massachusetts, and moved here last summer."

"Massachusetts is nice, why did you move?" Peter asked.

Luckily, we reached the door of the classroom. The bell rang and Peter and I rushed to sit down, choosing seats next to each other.

  "Ok guys," my teacher, a middle aged man with salt and pepper hair, said, "Welcome to AP US history. We are starting off the year by learning about New York. You are going to work with a partner," everyone got excited and started calling to their friends, "that I pick," you could hear collective groans from the class, "and research an important figure in history that is from New York City."

The teacher began to assign partners by picking out of a New York Yankees cap. "Navarro and Smith," he stated after pulling out two slips of paper out of the cap. "Snow and Rider, Holmes and Watson, haha that's funny," he chuckled at the clever coincidence, "Parker and Jackson."

My partner was Peter Parker.

Peter freaking Parker

Peter looked at me and smiled. This is going to be interesting.