Chapter 11

I woke up in a strange place. Strangers were pushing my bed somewhere. My chest started to feel tight. In a few seconds, I was having a full on panic attack.

"Where am I? Who are you? Mom! Dad!"

A nurse started trying to calm me down. He told me to take deep breaths. At first it worked, but then my breathing sped up, making me even dizzier. I then felt something pinch my neck, and the world fizzled out again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beep Beep Beep

My eyelids fluttered open. I tried to move and pain rushed through my veins like lead. I screamed and cried until a nurse rushed in with pain relievers, which sent me off into a dreamless sleep.
                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up after a few hours to the sound of crying. It was faint, but still loud enough for me to hear. The person's voice was hoarse.

"I am so sorry Mia. It's my fault. There is nothing I can do. Not even as Spider-Man." The person's voice cracked on the last syllable.

There was a rustling noise, and the sound of a chair scooting. The empty space in my hand was replaced by warmth. The person squeezed my hand, as if it was the only thing keeping him from flying away.

I heard the door squeak open.

"Peter, your time is up. She needs her rest." The voice was annoyed.

"Ok Michelle."

I missed the warmth once it was gone, but I was once again pulled under before I could call out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finally opened my eyes, and sat up with only minor pain. I tried to take in my surroundings.

The stark white room had little color except for the bulky television that was mounted onto the wall and the glossy wooden chairs littered around the room.

My bed had little railings on the side, as if I was in danger of falling off. The sheets were thin and scratchy, but warm. The sunlight that streamed through the blinds made dancing streaks on them.

The whole room smelt sterile and clean, as someone had doused it with hand sanitizer. There was a faint beeping next to me, and my eyes trailed from the bag that held a clear fluid, to the long tube that was connected to my chest.

I called out, my voice surprisingly raw.

"Hello? Anyone out there?"

My parents rushed in, their faces red from crying. They both grabbed my hands and started talking to me in the babyish voice I hated.

"Sweetie, we are so sorry. Thank God for Spider-Man, or else who knows what would have happened." My dad squeezed my left hand.

"What happened to me? Did I....," I stopped talking because the looks on their faces gave me the answer I needed.

"I relapsed." I felt numb.

"Yes. But the good news is that the doctors were able to remove it surgically. The hospital here in New York is much better, especially with that equipment Toby Stark donated. Now you just have to take some medicine to make sure it does not return," my mom said, her eyes bright.

"How long?" I hoped for a year or two.

"Forever." My dad frowned, but was still happy because this is better than what they expected.

My life would never be the same. I would feel sick because of the medicine. Every single day.

"Can I still go to school?"