Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Normally she never wore makeup as she found it too much of a hassle to apply, today, however, she had so much on that she felt if she cried again there would be a trail carved through her face- the girls had made an attempt to fix the mess of her face and looking at the mirror at the top of the stairs, had succeeded mostly. The only problem area were her eyes, they looked frightful, the bags under them concealed by the makeup; however, no amount of the stuff would ever be able to hide the blood shot mess that her eyes themselves were. The solution to that problem was simply to hide behind sunglasses- all she could do was thank god that it was July.

“Girls!” PO Harris yelled from the bottom of the staircase.

“Coming!” Sarah yelled a reply before giving Amelia a quick, reassuring squeeze and leading her down the staircase.

“Sarah, they’re going to tell me to take my sunglasses off at dinner.” Sarah’s face dropped for a minute before she took Amelia’s handbag and fished out her normal glasses, her eyes widened behind her sunglasses as she shook her head furiously.

“They’re slightly tinted, so they’ll help” She grinned mischievously; she knew Amelia hated her glasses and that’s why she never wore them in public. “Oh come on” She laughed when she continued to shake her head. “If any of the boys ask why you’re wearing them, then say you’ve got a headache, it’ll give you an excuse to sit away from them and not talk to people, she smiled and Amelia sighed, pulling off her sunglasses.

“God Smithy, are you okay?!” PO Harris asked as she saw them coming towards her, she nodded quickly snatching her glasses from Sarah to cover her frightful looking eyes. “You’ve been crying” She pointed out, Sarah shot her a ‘don’t ask, we’re sorting it’ look but she continued. “Come talk to me after dinner” She couldn’t say no and so she nodded hesitantly.

“Mia!” The last person either of the girls wanted to see came around the corner and tried to give her a hug, she dodged his arm, not saying a word. “Are you okay, you look as though you’ve been crying.” Amelia’s hands clenched and flexed, her Raynaud acting up, showing the anxiety she felt about the situation.

“Connor, I think you would be better leaving Amelia alone” Sarah, spoke calmly despite the fact that her fists were balled so tightly at her sides her nails cut into her palms.

“She’s my girlfriend, you can’t tell me that I can’t talk to her” He turned around, giving Sarah a challenging look which she gladly returned.

“Actually she can” Connor looked confused as Amelia spoke up, her voice shaking; Sarah sent her an encouraging smile, knowing herself how hard something like this could be. “Because I’m not your girlfriend anymore, and don’t try and make me change my mind about that fact” She added when he tried to speak. “Because, you’ve proven that you don’t love me by making out with that blond bimbo in the galley, and apparently that can’t be the first time being as everyone seems to know about your cheating” She scowled at him before walking off, her heart breaking into even tinier pieces as she stamped on his.

Sarah was quick to follow her, leaving Connor looking broken as he stood alone in the corridor; apparently he hadn’t intended for anyone to find out. Amelia was a strong girl, and he had obviously hadn’t gotten what he had wanted from her, so he just used another girl. She felt for Amelia in this whole situation though, they’d been going out for over a year and she’d obviously had some pretty strong feelings for him, which, to be fair, she’d thought he had as well, but he was weak and now his actions had left her best friend looking as though she was going to cry again.

“Mia” She smiled as she placed her hands on her best friend’s shoulders, stopping her dead in the corridor. “I don’t think I’ve ever been prouder of you than I am right now” She grinned before pulling her into an enormous hug, and for the first time in over an hour, she didn’t feel like crying any longer. That was, anyway, until she saw the seating plan for their dinner, she was seated right opposite Connor.