Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We made our way to the mess deck to go and get dinner- chicken again.

“This is definitely a reason I don’t like it here” Amelia said as she sat down.

“What?” Sarah asked as she sat opposite.

“Having chicken for lunch and dinner every day!” She laughed and Sarah nodded as they both tucked in.

“Attention Cadets, 10 minutes and I want everyone fell into squad outside to march to the hall for our special entertainment for tonight- if you are performing tomorrow, you will be excused for rehearsal and will go back to your mess to meet your mentors!” Sub lieutenant Palmer announced and there were mumblings of: ‘Aye Ma’am’ around the room as everyone began to devour their food as fast as humanly possible.

“Is that the best idea if you guys are going to be dancing in a moment?” Rhys and Jamie walked past having finished their food already as they’d gotten seated first; Sarah shrugged as Amelia studiously ignored them, continuing to scoff the food in front of her.

“Leading Cadet Smith?” She heard a voice yell over the noise, everyone turned to look at her as she quickly swallowed her mouthful and looked up to the source of the voice.

“Aye Chief” She said as he moved towards where they sat, Jamie took her empty tray as she stood up to go to speak to their chief officer.

“Could I speak to you outside, please?” She asked as she got close to him, she nodded quietly, as she followed her out of the busy mess deck to a little further a long from where the others stood, beginning to fall into a squad.

“I understand that you’ve had some big news and that you are probably a bit confused about it, so I want you to know that you can come and speak to me any time you need.” She nodded awkwardly as she stood in front of her. “Also, they were wondering if you would maybe go and talk to them later, after the evening’s entertainment, someone will come and get you from your dress rehearsal tonight” She nodded awkwardly again.

“Thanks Chief” She said as she glanced over to her squad as they began to fall in, Sarah had taken her place of leading them.

“That’s fine, you go and rehearse; I’m looking forward to seeing you and young Williams doing us proud tomorrow!” She said tapping her on the shoulder as she nodded slightly before walking over to her squad, Sarah falling in, leaving her to lead.

“What was that about?” She asked from beside her as they marched back to the accommodation block, Amelia shrugged a silent message to Sarah not to ask.

“Right, girly’s and guys we will be heading to the sports complex now!” Ola cheered as there was a group sigh, everyone following her as she lead the way; everyone seemed to be completely shattered after being on the water in the heat all day.

“Squad, Halt” Yelling the order the squad, Amelia sighed, left turning on the spot to face them. “Squad, into line, right turn!” She yelled again as everyone turned to face her, and the chief who moved to her side.

“Stand them at ease please, Leading cadet.” She nodded.

“Aye Chief” She said, left turning to face her squad. “Squad, Stand at ease” She said as everyone in the squad seemed to move as one. “Stand easy” She said after a few moments.

“Right, well, since tomorrow is your first performance for our guests, we will be having a dress rehearsal tonight, so you can iron out all the creases in your routine and ensure your outfits fit!” There were a few mumbles throughout the squad, in truth, all anyone wanted to do was sleep. “You may dismiss your squad now, Leading Cadet” Chief sighed at the lack of enthusiasm.