Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Having marched back to the accommodation block after having finished breakfast, most of the cadets from Mercia district sat around the beds just chatting, mostly about how weird it was that they were going to be here for such a long time, yet none of them knew what they were going to be doing.

“Righty-oh kiddos” Chief Darns clapped his hands as he walked into the room, an unfamiliar PO following in behind him; all fell silent as they turned to face the slightly mad man. “It’s come to my attention that we have some trust and relationship issues within the group, which means that you are leaving a certain two individuals out- I don’t need to name names as you all know who” His eyes fell upon Connor and Katie in the corner. “Some people may say that you need to buck up and stop being such sissies about whatever has gone on- however, we’ve decided that we are not those people, and so you and you, be packed and outside in 10 minutes, you’ll be positioned with cadets from another district” They nodded, not arguing as they knew it was probably best. “And the rest of you ugly lot: downstairs and fall in; I’d hurry up about it as well as morning colours is in 10 and you don’t want to be caught outside for that” Everyone rushed to gather there uniform, jam their boots on and shove what they needed in their pockets before charging like a herd of wild animals down the stairs and out the door to fall in for squad.

As it turned out, they weren’t quick enough and so half way to the mysterious place they were going to, they had to halt and left incline to face the building.

“Here we are!” Chief grinned when they found themselves on the edge of the base at a giant hall, they were instructed to go inside where they found an odd sight. Hung all around the room were dresses, suits, shoes, heels and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things not normally found on a naval base.

The officers in charge of them found the puzzled looks on their faces hilarious as the head of the sea cadets came to the front of the room to address the district.

“Mercia district attention!” He yelled from the front of the room, everyone stood to attention where they were. “Mercia district stand at ease!” He yelled again, everyone stood at ease and then turned to face him at the front. “Well, I supposed that I’d better explain what is going on; we have some very important visitors coming to the navy base to see you sea cadets in action as they have decided to support the sea cadet corps and so as a commemorative celebration of these special visitors, we are going to have some entertainment for them on the evening which will be put on them by you cadets! So there is going to be a few different things across the week; the main even though is our very own idea of: ‘Cadets come dancing!’, and so a few of you from each unit have been selected by your commanding officers to take part in this event…” Jamie tuned out listening as he read out a list of names, no doubt Amelia would be chosen from their unit- he’d never seen her dance, but he’d seen the medals, trophies and awards for different dances that lined the shelves and walls of her room. “And representing Daring unit, from the girls: Amelia Smith, Sarah Frankley, Katie Fords and Tia Steer, and from the boys: Jamie Williams, Rhys Johnson, Liam Collins and Connor Abrahams.” Amelia looked over at Sarah, her face stricken with worry hearing Connors name, I sent Sarah a puzzled look.

“Connor and Amelia are close in height, if it’s any kind of ballroom dance which it undoubtedly is, they’ll be partnered together” Josh answered his unasked question- the only thing he could do now then was make sure him and her were put together, that way he’d look like the hero and he’d get to dance with her!

All those doing dance were told to move to another room where, waiting for them were some scary looking dance instructors. They stood together in their units, Connor and Katie standing slightly off to the side.