Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Waking up, she found it was the middle of the night; it was so unbelievable hot though, as she looked around, she found many of her friends were up, finding that it was too hot and uncomfortable to sleep

“Mia?” She heard Sarah’s voice through the darkness as she got up to open the window by her bed- they were already open as far as they would go; not far enough.

“Yeah” She said, climbing back into bed and rolling up her pyjama bottoms.

“I think the bathroom might be cooler, I’m going to go take a shower.” She whispered across the room.

“I had one earlier and I’ve ran out of tape to cover my stitches, but I’ll come with you” She whispered as she climbed off of the bed, she heard her friend moving through the darkness and she followed.

When they got to the bathroom, they were almost blinded by the light, their eyes taking a few minutes to adjust.

“You’ve been avoiding Jamie, why?” Sarah questioned as soon as she could see again- she hadn’t intended to shower at all, she’d just brought an empty bottle of water to fill up. For the last week she’d managed to avoid Jamie- which had been easy during the day because they did different courses, in the evenings, however, it was more difficult- so she’d taken to busying herself by almost constantly rehearsing with Matt.

“I haven’t” She lied, Sarah raised an eyebrow- she was a terrible liar. “Honestly, I have no idea what you’re talking about?” Sarah crossed her arms across her chest, not saying anything, just staring. “I haven’t” She pulled her hands up in defence.

“Don’t you lie to me, he thinks he’s done something wrong- he said you just stopped talking to him all of a sudden- the only time you spoke to him since the second night was that you were going to rehearse with Matt” She said, Amelia felt awful, he must feel like it’s his fault- well, technically it is, if he hadn’t have been so damn hot… No! She couldn’t be thinking this about her best friend! “What’s going on with you?” Sarah asked before a light bulb went off inside her head and she grinned at her friend. “You realised you like Jamie didn’t you!” Her eyes went wide as Amelia didn’t respond for a minute.

“What?! No way?” She shook her head furiously as Sarah danced around the room despite the heat singing: “Amelia loves Jamie, Jamie loves Amelia” Over and over. Amelia protested as she grabbed her friend’s shoulders. “Sarah, please get it into your little brain: I do not like Jamie that way, and Jamie does not like me!” She said holding her friends shoulders and looking her straight into the eyes- she was positive she wasn’t lying about the last part anyway, Sarah rolled her eyes.

“Whatever you say!” She laughed as Amelia sighed before filling up her water bottle from the tap.

“I’m going to go before you accuse me of liking someone else” Amelia laughed as she left the room- Sarah wasn’t convinced.

Climbing back onto her bed, she sipped the water from the bottle by her bed as she leant against the cool wall, feeling claustrophobic in the stuffy room.

“Mia, you awake?” She froze as she heard a familiar masculine voice.

“Yeah” She responded after a minute, she knew if she didn’t and Sarah came in, she would know that she was lying earlier. She heard light footsteps pad over the carpet towards her, and then felt the mattress dip by her side. In the moonlight that shone dimly through the window by her bed, she could see Jamie’s silhouette by her side, she felt something weird buzzing in her stomach. “You okay?” She asked crossing her legs as she turned to face him.