Chapter 8

We stopped at the Ice Cream Parlour on Cove Ave, called Pete's Malts and Sweets. We went inside, Millie hitching a ride on Ash's back. Human folk call it "Piggy Back Rides". Strange. I don't see how it relates to swine in any form, though I don't detest it. Phoebe found us a booth with a window view. Millie sat next to the window because she loved looking at human folk walk by carrying their rather large bags, which I presume to be heavy. She smiled whenever a little child her age held a rubber circle that floats in the air which I've come to know is called a 'Balloon'. Max was on my left beside Millie, leaving me the edge. I don't mind, I like the edge, I can go out freely. Phoebe next to the window, accompanied by Ashton. 

I looked at Ashton, and thinking over to him. 

'Well order, tuna-breath' I thought.

'No you order.' Ashton thought back, "No name calling Missy." He said aloud.

"She didn't say anything..." Phoebe said looking at him.

"Yes she did. I mean. I know she would. So I just thought I'd tell her to not name call." Ashton said. I think he remembered that they don't know that we're mermaids.

"Oh. Well let's order up." Phoebe said breaking the ice once again with a smile on her face.

"I'll have whatever you recommend, Phoebe." I said to her.

"I recommend the strawberry swirl with chocolate fondue Sunday. It is amazing, you'll love it." She said proudly.  I take it, she's had it before.

"Right Max, you pick for me."  Ashton said putting his hands on the table.

" Sweet." Max said with a wicked smile. 

"Oh no." Phoebe said shaking her head disapprovingly at my brothers decision.

"Get the Carmel Surprise. You'll like it." Max said cooly.

"Alright. It's settled. One of you, order. We don't know how this works." Ashton said ordering Max and Phoebe. They both looked at him in a confused state.

"We don't get out much, please." I said asking nicely to the twins.

"Sure." Phoebe said pushing Ashton lightly, so she could exit.

Phoebe ordered up front and came back with our cold dairy desserts. I took a bite from the Sunday, and can I just say, Holy Sweet Betty Of Aphroditie. It is amazing. I finished it quickly and everyone stared at me. Like if I had gone completely off my shell.

"What?" I asked them as I licked the cold, wet dairy product off my lips. 

"Nothing it's just, it's better if you go slow on cold products." Max said cooly.

"What do you mean?" Ashton said curiously.

"Well cold things, create brain freezes." He said.

"What is a brain freeze?" I asked, my turn to be curious.

"What?! What do you mean, 'What's a brain freeze?' It's like the worst thing you can get with cold things." Phoebe said. 

"How does it feel?" I asked curiously.

"Like having a huge block of Ice placed on top of your head for a long period of time. Brain freezes usually last for about 30 seconds to a min. Not long." Max said sounding somewhat intelligent.

"Oh I see. I want one." I said smiling widely.

"What? You want a brain freeze?!" Phoebe said seeming as if she didn't believe the words that I had spoken.

"Yes. I want to feel that. Maybe if I feel it, I would not want one in the near future." I explained trying to sound logical. 

Though I didn't get a brain freeze, I got something else instead. My mouth did  a strange noise and my chest pulsated as if it was a very strong heartbeat. I couldn't control it. 

"Eep! Eep! Eep!" I kept repeating unvoluntarily.

"Awe, Lynn's got the hiccups." Phoebe said with a small smile.

"What are...Eep.. hiccups? Is it.. Eep...some sort of...Eep disease or...Eep..sickness?" I asked in between the strange sound.

"That, what you're doing. Those are hiccups." Max said trying to hide the smile that was slowly forming onto his lips.

*Max's Point Of View*

"That what you're doing. Those are hiccups." I said, hoping I could hide my blasted smile from taking over my mouth. 

It was just so adorable. I've never heard a girl hiccups like that before. Usually when phoebe hiccups it sounds like a hippopotamus choking. It was her. The girl I accidently hit at the Records Office earlier today. It was all on complete accident, but man that accent. What am I saying. Come on Max Thunderman. You're a villain, you can't have these sun shine-y thoughts about some girl. You have to take over the world, create enemies. 

There is something strange about her, and her siblings. They seem as if they have never been in contact with anyone else before. Like if they never spent time with other people other than themselves. There is definitely something going on. Her speech pattern is different, not because she's australian, cause God that is so damn attractive, the way she says things; it's like she's never heard about them before or has absolutely no understanding about it. They way she says things too, some phrases like Coral brain, the whole, guppies thing, sharks and tuna, all that is strange, normal people don't say that. I'm going to get to the bottom of it.