Chapter 16

Jonathan and I talked for a good two hours, laughing and throwing Phoebe's pillows around and at each other. We plopped down on the floor, the room filling up with our snorting and laughing. We held our sides, as the laughing created, what I believe are cramps. We wiped the tears that formed in our eyes away and sighed deeply. We looked at each other and smiled.

"This was fun." I said lightly laughing.

"Yeah, I know I've never really spoken to a girl for more than three seconds, so I'm glad it was you that I spoke longer with." Jonathan said with a shy smile.

"Well, I'm honoured." I said chuckled.

"I know this is a bit sudden, but I don't really know how this all works-" Jonathan said trying to find the right words for which he wanted to tell me.

"Go on." I said sitting up straight now, looking at him.

"Will you g-go on a d-date with me?" He asked becoming shy again.

"Wow," I said. I can't go on 'dates' whatever that is. It can't happen. I'm not human and so many things can go wrong in that.

"Sure." I blurted out. Why did I say that? Why did I say yes?

"Great." He said with a great big smile on his face.

"Does Friday sound good?" Jonathan asked unsure.

"Yeah, sounds good." I said smiling.

"Sweet, I'll come over at six." Jonathan said with a sweet smile.

"Right." I said smiling widely and nodding.

"Okay, cool." He said mimicking my movements, "I got to go, mom needs me to go and babysit my little sister, Emalie."

"No worries. I'll text you my address." I told him as I smiled at him.

"Sweet. Well I'll see you Friday" He said with the same smile plastered on his face before exiting Phoebe's room and house.

A few minutes after Jonathan left, Phoebe came rushing up to her room, closing the door behind her before screaming girlishly.

"TELL ME EVERYTHING!" Phoebe said with her back pushed on the bedroom door.

"All we did is talk and just laugh." I said getting up from the floor.

"Anything else?" Phoebe said trying to pry into my business.

"Well...." I said beginning to pace around, "He asked me out on a... date..."

"He asked-. A date-. You are so going on that date!" Phoebe said with a massive grin over taking her face.

"Of course, I will. Quick question, what's a date?" I asked her obviously confused.

"Oh right. Forgot you're a mermaid. My best friend is a mermaid!" Phoebe sung the last few words of her sentence.

"A date, Micah, is when two people get together and go to a restaurant or the movies, walk in the park or something of that nature, and get to know each other more." Phoebe explained as I paced around with my hands on my hips.

I paced around and thought about what could be happen, and all the things that could massively go wrong on this alleged date of mine. I bit my nails, and fidgeted with my fingers until Phoebe told me to stop and tell her what was up.

"I'm scared." I confessed, plopping down on her bed.

She say beside me and turned her body to me, "Scared of what? Jonathan? He's a great guy, and amazingly sweet. It's just no one give him the time of day cause he's in the AV club." Phoebe told me.

"I just-. I don't know Phoebe. What if he gets the impression that I fancy him?" I told her looking down at my hands.

"Why wouldn't you? I would, but I have Cole to worry about." Phoebe said laughing.

"I can't fancy anyone, I'm a mermaid remember? It can't work. It just can't." I told her, looking down at the floor.

"Why can't it? Why can't you?" Phoebe probed.

"Because if there is any remote chance that Jonathan falls in love with me, I can't love him back." I explained.

"Why?" Phoebe asked.

"As a mermaid, we are given the inability to love anyone, any other species other than our own. It's been that way for centuries and as much as I would just love to fall in love and experience that, I can't." I said.

"Oh, that is a problem. Well, we'll deal with that when we cross paths with it." Phoebe said with a smile.

"Yeah, thanks." I said with a light smile.

_____

Double update! What?! (: I hope you lot enjoyed this chapter! The upcoming chapter will be written through Max's point of view! So look forward to that!! C: Please comment and vote, down below of what you thought about this chapter. I love you lot c:

-Jordannnnn x