Chapter 12

"Well... Um... You see...I'm... uhhh..." I said fidgeting with my hands and fingers, trying not to make eye contact with Phoebe.

"Hey, what the hell was that back there." Max said rushing in the room and closing the door behind.

"Max, shut up." Phoebe said turning her attention to her brother then me, " you were saying?"

"You know what.. I have to go home. My mum's probably wanting me home by now." I said trying to get out of this conversation.

"What? You just got here." Max said whining a bit.

"I really need to get home. Sorry." I said as I was making my way out the door.  Max grabbed my arm with his hand. His hand feels wet, really moist. Oh god. I yanked my arm away from his grip, but he was reluctant to let me go.

"Max please let me go. You don't understand." I said trying to release myself from his hold.

"Not until you tell me what the hell was that back there." Max said staring at me, not breaking eye-contact.

I didn't have much time before I changed. I couldn't change. Not here. Oh god, they will freak out, or turn me in. Or both. I could already feel the change beginning. I pulled my arm away from Max, finally releasing me from his hold, before I fell to the ground, during my change. I changed fully, with my hands sustaining my upper body up. I let out a frustrated sigh. 

"This is why, why I wanted you to let me go." I said beginning to breathe heavily.

"Micah.. you're a-" Phoebe said, but couldn't finish.

"A mermaid." I said looking up at her.

"I didn't know-" Max said stuttering.

"You didn't know. Yet you couldn't leave me alone." I said. I grabbed my phone that had fallen on the floor just a few feet away from me. I typed in Ashton's number and hit 'call'. 

"Ash, Can you come to Phoebe's? Yeah... Yeah..... They- they know..... I know...... You can tell me 'I told you so' on the way home......Thank you. Bye." I said hanging up. 

"Can you bring me a towel, or something to dry my tail with?" I asked Phoebe. Max, jaw-dropped at wide-eyed couldn't have been much help, so I asked Phoebe.

"So you weren't kidding around the first day we met at your house. When you said you were just a mermaid." Phoebe said as she handed me a khaki towel.

"No. I didn't think you'd ever find out. But seeing as how shark-meat there, "I said bobbing my head over to Max's direction, "kind of got me stuck in this blasted situation, I have no choice but to tell my mum."

"What? Why?" Max asked finally out of his trance.

"If we were ever discovered, we have to move. We can't let human folk know we exist. A mermaid already broke several hundred rules when she came in contact with a human reporter for a national website. We have this fear, of being experimented on. That's why after tomorrow, I will no longer be here." I said as I began to dry myself with the towel.

"You-you can't leave." Phoebe said beginning to tear up.

"Max you idiot! If you hadn't grabbed her arm with your wet hands, none of this would have happened. She wouldn't have had to move. It's all your fault." Phoebe said pointing over to her brother and screaming at him.

"Don't blame me! She wouldn't tell me what happened. Don't be pinning this on me, if you hadn't brought her over, none of this WOULD have happened." Max said as he passed the blame on to his sister.

"Both of you are to blame. But me especially, for staying longer than I should've. I knew that one day I would've been discovered, I didn't think it would have been three months after I moved to Hiddenville. So if anything, I'm to blame. I kept this from you, knowning that one way or another you would have found out. Whether I liked it or not. I can't erase your minds, and forget it all happens, that's not how it works, Max." I said looking over at him.

"How did yo-" He said confused.

"I can read minds, that's why at the Ice-cream Parlor with Ashton, he called me out on the name calling thing. I was calling him names, through thoughts, not verbally." I explained as I was almost done drying up. 

"What if we don't say anything? Keep it secret." Phoebe said looking at Max then me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Like, we can keep it just between us, and your brother, that way, you won't have to leave. You can stay here." Phoebe said with a hopeful smile.

"Yeah, that might work. That's brilliant." I said smiling.

"Please, promise me you won't say a word to anyone. If word gets out that Mermaids are living among human folk, we're done for." I said staring at the pair of friends that were willing to keep my secret a secret.

"Of course." Phoebe said nodding in an understanding manner.

"Thank you." I said humbly.

_

*Max's P.O.V*

So that's what she is. Why she's been speaking funny, and acting different. I knew something was up but I didn't think it was this. Oh, man. This is huge. I'm going to make her life miserable. I can't possibly have feelings for her. It's not natural. I'm a villain, she's a mermaid. It could never work. Phoebe really wants her to stay here, but if I don't get rid of her, she will consume all thoughts that wonder in my mind with just her, Micah-Lynn. How am I supposed to react to this? I've got to figure out a way to get her out of my life, and into someone else's, even if it means making her leave Hiddenville for good.

_______________________

So Max and Phoebe finally found out about Micah's secret. Do you think Max should do this to Micah? I mean seriously man, she didn't do anything to him. What do you think will happen next?! 

I'll try to update later on this week, but finals are this week, then Friday is my last day! Yay!! Hurray for the Summer Holiday!! (: x