Chapter 20

I looked at Max as silence filled the room. I had just finished me small little fit of laughter when a sudden awkward silence fell upon us. I swear, whenever he and I are alone with each other, we seem to have mny many awkward silences. Though, perhaps it is because I happen to fancy him, and he, me. I tilted my head just a tiny bit, as I looked into his deep brown eyes. 

"You still didn't answer my question." I pressed, trying to get Max to talk again.

"What question?" He asked again, obviously 'forgetting' the question that I had asked just moments before.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier? Why did you have to wait till you messed up to even bother to tell me about this. Why did you wait till I kissed you?" I bombarded him with questions.

I wanted answers. One thing you should know about mermaids, we love to ask questions. We are quite the curious lot, y'know. So I waited, semi-patiently for his response. Three minutes had passed, with that still god-awful silence between us, he finally spoke up. Thank my father - because he's Poseidon, that that awful silence is finally going to be broken.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't know what to do. I have never actually liked somebody before. I suppose it's just unusual for me. I thought you, out of all people, would understand. I mean, look at you. You're a mermaid who is older than I, both human years, and mermaid. I never thought that I had to worry about possibly losing the only bit of happiness I get out of life that I actually enjoy, but here it is. You're going to leave. I wanted to tell you now, because hey, if you're gone, I might never see you again." Max expressed, as he walked around the room, pacing. 

He was right. I was leaving, yet now I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay, even more so than before when I had the small fight with my mother. I wanted to stay with Max and Phoebe, and live a normal human teenage life. Even if I am infact a mermaid living in a human's world. I just want to be normal. 

So I looked to, giving him a small sad smile. While I did so, I had this weird and uncomfortable feeling in my chest. It was - it seemed unbearable. Something I didn't quite understand. I undertsand everything, in the mermaid sense. I understood the laws of physics and the great unanswerable question that I can, in actuality, answer. However, this feeling. This uncomfortable, unbearable, extremely pressurised feeling in my chest, was something I did not have the answer to, or capablity to comprehend. 

Slowly, it was driving me crazy. I hadn't spoken a word to him. I just simply got up, breathed deeply, and asked him, silently, to please leave my home. Even if he didn't quite understand what I was doing, or asking, he obliged. He got up from where he was sitting on my bed, and walked over to my bedroom door. He waved a small little 'good-bye' with his hand, and exited my room. I closed the door behind him as soon as he disappeared from my view, and sighed quite deeply.  

"What is he doing to me?" I thought, walking over to my bed and falling back on the comforter. I looked up at the ceiling, wondering. "Since when does a little human boy have this sort of affect on me? It's never happened before. So why now?" I asked myself, knowning I'd never get the answer. 

I rolled over to my side, picking up my phone that I must've left on the bed when Max and I were talking. I unlocked the screen, and messaged my brother. 'Maybe he'll know what this weird feeling means?' I, once again, asked myself.

Micah: We need to talk. My room, now. Please.

I sighed, waiting for him to respond. Within moments of my message, I recieved a reply from my brother. 

Ashton: Alright, I'll be right up. Just finished my swim.

Micah: Thank you. 

I turned back to how I was positioned before. On my back, looking up at the ceiling. I rolled my neck, feeling it pop, the pressure I was feeling seemed to be lifted - only a bit, however. I went back to the thoughts I had before. The possibility of us moving again was something I just did not want to happen. Period. I like my room, and my small little grotto down below. I like my friends - whom I actually made this time. 

If only I can convince my mother that Max and Phoebe aren't going to expose us, maybe then I can stay. Hopefully, my mother might have a change of heart. Then again, however, mermaids are quite the stubborn lot. So this is going to be a challenge. A challenge, nonetheless, that I can achieve. 

 ---

Hello my lovely amazing readers. I apologise for not being active, and updating. I have updated, as you can see. I hope you are loving the book, and enjoyed this chapter. Please comment down below if you would like another chapter up SOON, and I shall deliver A.S.A.P. Thank you so much for reading, you have been quite the wonderful bunch. I enjoyed reading your comments while I was away. I am sorry for the wait, and I hope to be more active now. 

I had difficulties logging in - I might have accidently forgotten my password. Sorry! I reset my password, and now I am here! 

Thank you again for reading, and for the 6k reads, and 150+ votes. I love you guys very much. 

Musically yours,

     -Jordan Sommers x