Chapter 9

It's been a month since I moved to Endsville. Yes, at first I didn't like this place, and yes I'll admit I actually do like it. For some odd reason, I feel as if I fit in. As if I'm meant to be here. I became more and more friendly towards everyone, and grew especially close to the Thunderman family. I started to hang out with them a lot more. Probably around the 2nd week of my arrival. Max has been asking to hang out more than Phoebe has. Maybe it is because he and I have the same interests, or reactions towards certain things? I don't know. Ashton's staying with us, said he would be here for a few months before going back to the sea and see his girlfriend Rhea. Again, not a big fan of that she-snake.

            Phoebe always comes over though; my mum is fine with it, as well as my dad. Max has been trying to get me to come over to his house, though Mr. Thunderman apparently has this rule on inviting people over? I don’t get it really, but I’ll respect the man’s wishes till he wants to allow me to enter his home. I have absolutely no problem with it. Today is Wednesday, also known as the-week-is-almost-over-but-we-still-have-2-more-days day. Or at least, that is how Max deems it to be. I arrived to my first period on time, Math Honours with Mr. Pines. I sat in my usual seat, in the front row. I have class with Phoebe, who sits beside me. Phoebe came inside about 2 minutes before the bell rang and sat down in her usual seat. She took out her book, and notepad, and pen. I already had my things set out before me on my desk. I looked over at Phoebe and turned my body to face her.

“Hi Phoebe.” I spoke.

“Good morning, Micah-Lynn.” She said sounding cheery.

“Why so cheery today? Does this have anything to do with that lad, Connor?” I asked.

“It’s Cole. And yes!” She replied excitedly.

“What did you say? Did he tell you anything, did you tell him anything?” I asked bombarding her with questions.

“Actually I invited Cole over for dinner and his family. Do you think you can come over? If something terrible happens because I know Max will try to ruin things, I would really need a second girl there that knows that’s going on.” Phoebe replied to my multiple questions, and asked if I could come over for dinner.

“Is it alright with your father? I really don’t want to intrude on his space and defy his rules against people coming over.” I said trying to cover my basis on being allowed in their house.

“Yes. My dad will be totally fine with it. Just let me do all the talking.” She said trying not to let me worry.

“Okay, then sure. My mum would actually love for me to get out of the house. So count me in.” I responded.

“Yay! Thank you Micah-Lynn!” She said excitedly.

“No problem Phoebe, do I have to wear anything in particular? Like is it a formal dinner? Or can I just come as I am?” I asked referring to my current appearance. My long sleeve burgundy plaid button up, black tank top, and blue skinny jeans rolled up 3/4ths above my ankle.

“I’m not sure; I’ll send you a text if I find out okay?” Phoebe replied to my question.

 “Alright. What time should I come over?” I asked her as I watched Mr. Pines come into the room and set his things on his desk.

“Whenever you’re finished getting ready. I’ll send you a text if you have to wear anything formal.” Phoebe said before Mr. Pines cleared his throat and spoke to the class.

“Good Morning Class. Today we’re going to learn how to use the Quadratic Equation.” Mr. Pines spoke as he wrote the words QUADRATIC EQUATION on the board.

“Oh I know this!” I whispered/yelled at myself with a small smile.

“Does anyone know about the Quadratic Formula?” Mr. Pines asked the class.

“X equals negative B plus or minus the square root of B squared minus 4ac over 2a.” I said confidently.

“Very well Ms. Tanner. “ Mr. Pines said with a bright smile.

“Nerd.” I heard a boy speak from behind me. I turned my body and attention towards the boy who said that. Graysen. The class shared their “ooh’s” amongst themselves.

“Proud to be one. Kind of shows that I’ve got brain.” I said back to the Graysen.

“Alright Ms. Know-it-all, shows us on the board how smart you are. “ Graysen said standing up and putting an equation on the board. He finished writing up the equation on the board and it was a matter of seconds till I got the answer.

“The answer’s negative two-thirds.” I said looking at Graysen with a blank expression.

“How do you know? What if you’re wrong?” He said trying to say that my answer is incorrect because I did the math in my head.

“Basic math. Watch.” I said as I went to the board and picked up the marker.

“The Equation Graysen gave me, was 9x2 + 12x + 4 = 0.” I said pointing to the equation.

“9 is a, 12 is b, and 4 is c. Therefore you have all you need to start Quadratic Formula.” I began to write out the formula.

“X=-b±√b²-4(a)(c)/2(a). That is the formula that we need to use to solve this equation. Inputting the numbers we established to be a, b, and c, we can begin to solve the problem step by step.” I said explaining to the class and Graysen.

“So now it’ll be, x=-12±√12²-4(9)(4)/2(9). Then I’ll just reduce. 12² turns to 144, 4 times 4 is 16 times 9 is 144 divided by 18. So the equation will now look like this. X=-12±√144-144/18.” I said turning my back facing the room of 9th grade and 10th grade students. Then, going back to the board.

“Reducing that a little bit more will turn out to be; x=-12±√0/18. Being that the number inside the radical is zero there is no point into turning one problem into two. Making two equations as -12+0 and -12-0 since the outcome will still be -12. Therefore -12/18 will stay. Unless you reduce that, which will be -2/3.” I said before putting down marker and going back to my seat.

“Suck on that.” I said turning my head to him then back to my work on the board.

“Bravo Miss Tanner! That just pretty much summed up my entire lesson. Hope you all benefitted from Micah-Lynn’s example.” Mr. Pines said giving me a warm smile.

“Thank you, Mr. Pines. It’s basic math really. Though I guess sometimes basic is still not there for you.” I said directing my last words to Graysen.

            The rest of the day was pretty simple, and very progressive. I finished my math honors homework in 3rd Period, watched a John Green video in AP USH about the civil rights moments, read chapters 5-7 on To Kill A Mockingbird in AP Literature, went over Imparfait and Subjunctif in AP French, and asked Mr. Fria if I could borrow a Nikon D5200 from my photography class. Maybe I can bring it over and take a few pictures of the dinner party for Phoebe. I drove back home in my blue Ferrari. As I entered into the drive way my mum was out watering the garden, wearing rubber gloves, and being very careful onto getting water on herself. Ashton is right, we can’t keep the secret forever.