「THIRTY FIVE」

JOSH
r e a l l i f e

JOSH WAS NERVOUS, to say the very least.

He knew he should have seen this coming, that's why Debby suggested a walk to 'get some air', and it also explained the freakishly tight grip she had on his hand.

Josh didn't know what to do. He was going to have a child, he was going to be a dad. He hated to admit it, but he was excited. He had always wanted kids, and although it was with the wrong woman, he was happy to know he was going to be a father.

What would Annie say? Probably nothing good. She hated his guts just for being seen with Debby, let alone being the father of her kid.

Annie would most likely grind his bones to dust, slap him into oblivion or, even worse, shut him out forever.

With this in mind, Josh found himself stood on Adam's front porch, his hands fumbling for the phone in his pocket.

Josh
im here

Adam
knock.

Josh
can you please let me in?

Adam
knock on the fucking door,
then I'll let you in.

Josh let out a shaky breath, giving the front door three timid knocks, but was met with silence.

"Come on," He begged under his breath, his ears pricking up as he heard the lock churn.

The door flung open, revealing Adam, but he was different. There wasn't the playful gleam in his eye, there was an anger, and Josh felt somewhat scared in his presence.

"You will go in there, and you will explain everything to her. Got it?" Adam practically snarled, and Josh nodded frantically, taking a cautious step inside the house.

They both heard a groan from the living room, and anxiety rose in Josh's chest. Annie stormed into the room.

"Adam where the fuck is the remot-"

Annie's eyes widened as she saw Josh stood in the doorway, but they quickly narrowed into a scowl.

Before she could say anything, Adam interrupted.

"Josh is here to explain himself." He spoke to her softly, but it didn't seem to ease her. She looked angry, but hurt, and Josh didn't blame her.

Annie raised an eyebrow, and folded her arms, not saying a word.

Josh cleared his throat. "I-I was with Debby, because she needed to tell me something important-"

"and what was that?" She said, her face as hard as stone.

Josh lifted his head to look at her.

"Debby's pregnant."

Annie blinked. "So?"

Josh sat back with a sigh, "Annie, pregnant with my baby."

Josh watched it all sink in, before watching her entire demeanour fall. Her scowl completely dropped from her face, leaving a pale expression, etched with pain and heartbreak.

Josh hung his head as he saw Annie's eyes become glossy, his feet taking him towards her.

He pulled her into him, his heart shattering as she let out quiet sob.

"I love you, Annie, and I promise this child will never get between us, not the baby, not Debby, not anyone."

Annie suddenly pulled herself away, but Josh was relieved to see a smile on her face.

"You promise you weren't fucking her behind my back?" She wiped her cheeks with her sleeve.

"I promise. She's a couple months on."

Annie nodded, some colour rising back to her cheeks.

"You're going to be a great dad." She whispered to him, bringing a huge grin to Josh's face.

He sure hoped so.

>>><<<