Chapter 6

First off, I am sorry that this has taken so long to update, I don't want to make this a habit, but school does come first and I worked 53 hours in my J-O-B an additional few hours in my own business, as well as school full time.  Thank you all for your patience.  I hope you enjoy.

*btw, in case anyone got the wrong idea, I love Marines, my brother is a marine, and I’ve dated a few as well, I know how smart and resilient they are.  I just wanted to clarify that.  Semper Fi!

Chapter 6

The next day I went to work as usual, Justin gave me a knowing smile. “What?” I growled at him.

“Oh nothing,”

“Liar.” I snapped.  I don’t know why I was suddenly so angry with him, but I was.

“How’d your date go?”

“You promised.” I warned.

“Wait.  Lily, you actually went on a date?” Vinnie chimed from the back room coming out.

“Shut up Vinnie.  It’s none of your business.”

“So, it’s true then.  I thought you didn’t date.” Vinnie deduced.

“Justin, just so you know, I hate you.”

“Nah, you love me.” Justin smiled, looking way to happy with himself.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Vinnie cornered me in the back room.

“Drop it, Vinnie,”

“Or what?”

“Vinnie, I like you, I’d rather not have to punch you in the face.”

“So just tell me what this date nonsense it.”

Here’s the deal with Vinnie.  He’d had this thing for me, but he was sweet and sensitive, if we’d even had a fling it would have broken his heart.  Then there was the fact that he was a co-worker which just made things sticky.  He’d always been disappointed that we hadn’t so much as kissed.  I let him be disappointed, I so wasn’t opening this can of worms.  “Vinnie, for your own sake, as well as mine, let it go.”

Vinnie suddenly looked angry.  “Seriously, Lily?”

“Vinnie,” I groaned.  “Justin!” I shouted and prayed he’d come and save me.  He popped his head in.

“What?”

“Make him leave me alone!”

“I agreed to stay out of it, Vinnie wasn’t part of the agreement.”

Justin gave me a confident smile and Vinnie looked proud of himself.  “Fine, then I guess you don’t need me and I know how much you hate to give me OT and since you did take away my day off, I’m out of here.” I snapped.  If they wanted to play dirty, fine.  They could play games all that they wanted.  Games I was good at.  Better than them at.  I grabbed my purse and walked out.  I went straight to Starbucks and ordered a coffee.  I started scrolling through my phone.  Morgan and Tommy were celebrating today and I wasn’t about to intrude.  I smiled when I stopped on a name I hadn’t called in a while.

“Hello?”

“Jake.”

“Lily?”

“It’s been a while.”

“Yes, it has.  What’s up?”

“What are you doing right now?”

“Just got out of band practice actually.  You?”