Darlingtonia Californica

The echoes of heavy footsteps hurrying past her room were what awoke Barbara Gordon from her deep slumber.

She sat up, listening to the frantic footsteps descend down the stairs. Whatever was happening she wanted to know.

Not bothering to grab her glasses from her nightstand, Barbara pushed herself off the bed half-blind. Stumbling out of the room, the wooden floorboards underneath nipped at her bare feet. She reached the stairwell and grabbed onto the rail, taking careful steps as she went down.

She had only made it halfway down the stairs when a dark and blurred figure appeared at the front door.

"Dad?" Barbara called out to the silhouette as it threw a coat over itself.

The figure paused. "Barbara? What are you doing up already?"

"I heard your footsteps- What's going on?" She took a few more steps downwards, squinting at her dad.

"I just got a call from the police station." He gave a tired sigh before continuing. "A body turned up in an alley."

"Oh, so nothing new?" Barbara knew how crime-ridden the city had become in recent years. Bodies turning up in alleys weren't exactly a unique occurrence and hadn't been for quite a while.

The police commissioner remained silent for a few seconds, shifting on his feet.

"This body was drained of all its blood and the head was torn clean off."

Barbara's eyes widened and her hand gripped on tighter to the railing. Her father seemed just as disturbed by it as well, though his sentiments were more subtle.

"I have to go now, Barbara. I'll be back later tonight before the party." His gruff voice broke the silence as he opened the door and stepped out into the dark. A blast of the fall air entered the house, sending shivers up the young woman's spine before the door slammed shut.

Barbara stood motionless on the stairwell, still processing what she had just heard. The temperature in the air seemed to grow colder. The entryway seemed darker than before. And the house had never felt lonelier.

She started the walk back to her room, figuring that she should get some more sleep before school started.

If she could get any sleep at all after hearing this.

Throwing herself on the bed, Barbara flung the warm covers over her and rolled to the side of the nightstand. She had to practically press her nose against the clock as she eyed the two hands.

It was 4:59. She had about an hour and a half longer of sleep.

With an audible sigh, she collapsed back on her pillow. As she tried forcing her eyes shut, the realization of what today was suddenly struck her.

Today was her birthday, and it was already off to a miserable start.

Her dad had left, not even wishing her a happy birthday. And she wasn't naïve or optimistic enough to know that the day wouldn't improve at school.

The promise of the party this evening didn't look much brighter either. A twinge of ungratefulness struck her heart for thinking this. Her dad had ensured this party would be extravagant, having reserved it at the most stylish hotel in Gotham.

However, that didn't make up for the fact she did not have many friends that would attend. The guest list included more of her father's friends and acquaintances than her own.

"Well, Barbara, isn't tonight going to be exciting?" She muttered, finally closing her eyes.

~