Drosera Binata

Looking down at the notebook in her hand, Barbara stared blankly at the once white page now covered in red scribbles. She had finally finished. It had taken all night, but it was finally done.

She had everything documented in writing. 

From the beginning of when she first met Pamela to the incident at the Isley Mansion, she had written it all down. Not only were her encounters all jotted down inside, but so were detailed descriptions of her suspicions about the murders and disappearances.

And that was just one section.

Another section was about Richard and his family, detailing everything that happened with them. Even Mrs. Kringle's death was included and her suspicions surrounding that.

"They won't get away with this," Barbara vowed, shutting the notebook. "These- These demons can be exposed. They will be."

Why she had done it? As much as she didn't want to entertain the morbid thought, Barbara knew there had to be some sort of physical reminder- some sort of proof collected- in case anything ever happened to her. 

Tucking the notebook in her backpack, Barbara swung it behind her and ran downstairs just as the front door opened.

"Hey, Barbara! I was hoping to catch you before you left for school," Sarah greeted.

Barbara gripped her backpack straps tightly. "Oh, yeah, I was just about to."

"Well, I have some good news that might cheer you up after Officer Bard-"

"You found him?!" Barbara's eyes lit up with hope, forgetting about the gruesome sight from yesterday. 

"Um, no. We haven't. But we are still looking." James coughed from the side. 

"Yes, in fact, the city is implementing a curfew for everyone until we find this serial killer," Sarah explained.

"Is that the supposed good news? Because now I really won't be able to go out." Barbara gave a soft laugh.

"Actually, I talked to your father about the possibility of mentoring you. And to my surprise, he agreed!" Sarah beamed.

Barbara's jaw went slack. "Seriously?"

Sarah laughed at her reaction. "I was left speechless too. But if you really are serious about joining the GCPD, then I want to help."

"I-I- Why did you agree to this?!" Barbara turned to her dad.

"Because Ms. Essen is an excellent detective and an excellent persuader." James glanced towards Sarah.

"Um, thank you, Ms. Essen. I am serious about becoming a detective-"

"Of course, Barbara! Being one of the few women there is difficult, but I want to make sure it doesn't stay that way. Times are changing and the department needs to change with it." Sarah hugged the girl.

"I agree," Barbara whispered.

"This will be good for you, Barbara. I know I won't change your mind about what to do in life, so might as well make the best of it." James smiled at his daughter.

Sarah let go of Barbara and turned towards James. "So for Thanksgiving, I was thinking that I could prepare some of the side dishes."

Barbara raised an eyebrow at this news. "You're coming over for Thanksgiving?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I must have forgotten to mention it after talking about all this information." Sarah offered a slight, embarrassed small.

"Ms. Essen has no family here, so I decided to invite her over," James explained.

Barbara felt her body tense at the words. Thanksgiving had always just included her and her dad. "Oh, well, that's great to hear. I'm sure it'll be a lovely dinner. I-I have to get to school now. It was nice seeing you, Ms. Essen. Thank you again."

As soon as she stepped onto the pavement and away from the adults, a wave of relief washed over Barbara. She already had enough problems and they just went and added more. Just as she had realized she needed to lay off of detective work, she was somehow dragged back in. How fitting.

But with every car that drove past or person that looked at her a little too long, that sense of relief was slowly replaced with a tightening knot in her stomach. She wasn't safe. She would never be safe here. As long as she remained in Gotham, she would constantly be followed and observed. Maybe wherever she went she would always be in fear.

Pamela's words echoed back to her, reminding her how this was all her fault. Her father was at even greater risk now thanks to her.

But she could still make things right, couldn't she?

She couldn't just wait around like a sitting duck. She had to do something. If not to protect herself, but her father; the last person who remained in her life.

There had to be something she was overlooking, something that could gain allies out of former enemies.

"Richard," she muttered, suddenly regretting that she had turned him away. Barbara let out a sigh, realizing that the old saying was true after all.

"Better the devil you than the devil you don't."