Nepenthes Ampullaria

"Dad! Listen to me! Mrs. Kringle didn't die of 'natural causes!' Mr. Wayne and Richard had something to do with it!" Barbara explained from the dining room table. "I caught Richard in a lie about-"

"I don't care what Richard was lying about, Barbara! You just hit a man! Don't try to make excuses for your actions!" James fired back as he paced around the table.

"I am not trying to make excuses! I am trying to explain myself! Richard lied about his past! About his age! And Mrs. Kringle is- was- a witness to that! I even heard Richard say how he thought Bruce had gotten rid of all the newspapers from-"

"Richard! That's all you ever talk about anymore! If it is not the disappearances, that is!" James interrupted, slamming his fist on the table. "It is time you start holding yourself accountable for your own actions! This behavior has got to stop!" His voice suddenly dropped to a murmur. "But maybe I have been too lenient with you. If you don't quit acting this way, I will consider Arkham as a solution."

"The asylum?!" Barbara shot up from the table. "You're the crazy one here! How could you even consider that an option?!"

"Because it seems I can't keep you locked in here. Maybe the asylum can. Temporarily," James sighed. "I don't want it to come to that, Barbara. But this- all of this- has to stop immediately."

She stayed silent for a moment, lowering her head as she thought things over. "Okay, dad. This will all stop and everything will be normal again."

"I promise."

~

Barbara couldn't bring herself to cry anymore for the woman. Everything had happened so quickly and suddenly that she could hardly believe it had happened at all. It made her feel bad, guilty even, that she couldn't mourn properly. She had grown attached to Mrs. Kringle and had come to consider her a friend in the few months she had known her.

Barbara sighed as she stared up at the ceiling. A feeling of dread started to creep over her at the thought of Richard sneaking into her room. Especially after knowing the violence he was capable of.

She shuddered, remembering the blood on his face. He hadn't been above pushing her, but was he truly a murderer? Had she been associating with a murderer all along?

If he was indeed a murderer, he would no doubt kill her too. She knew too much. She was a liability just like Mrs. Kringle.

A sudden sound near the window disrupted her thoughts. Sitting upright, she clutched the covers and stared at the window. Although Barbara didn't have her glasses on, her eyes could still make out what was in front of the window.

Nothing. It was all clear. It had just been the usual sounds from a settling house.

Until a pair of eyes opened, revealing a shadow hanging from the ceiling.

Before Barbara could even open her mouth to scream, the figure crawled over to her at an unnatural speed and covered its claw over her lips.

"Your heart is pounding frantically. Are you frightened, Ms. Gordon?" The figure whispered into her ear.

With tears in her eyes, Barbara gave a slow nod in response.

"There is no need to be. I won't hurt you. However, that is if you have enough sense to listen to me. I have been kind enough with my warnings to you, but I see they have done nothing. I trust you realize now what snooping around will cost you." The hand gripped her jaw tighter and she could feel its sharp nails along her cheek.

Barbara nodded once again, shutting her eyes as she let her tears fall. They dropped onto the shadow's hand and dribbled over its skin. But if he noticed or even cared, he gave no indication and only continued speaking.

"Then, you will not speak of this encounter to anyone. Nor will you continue with your research. These matters at hand do not concern you." The figure lowered its head to the girl's neck. "You are already seen as an unstable girl about to be carted off to Arkham. I believe speaking about this would be what guaranteed you a cell."

She felt the mouth on her stitch, pinching the flesh with its teeth. Her chest rose in panic and her breathing was coming out in labored gasps. She wasn't sure if she could hold back the scream caught in her throat any longer.

"Although your mortal body is feeble compared to mine, I did not appreciate that strike earlier. I will not be humiliated again, Ms. Gordon. Do you understand?"

Barbara gave a muffled cry, nodding her head weakly. Almost instantly, the hand was removed from her mouth.

The girl couldn't even bring herself to sit up and look around, scared that he would be at the foot of her bed, glowering at her with its dilated pupils of blue.

She waited a few seconds, listening for the sound of crawling. For the sound of a window opening and closing. The sound of anything indicating this figure was gone.

No such sound ever came.

And no sleep ever came either for Barbara as she awaited the sound all night.