Utricularia Sandersonii

The sun had already set by the time James arrived at the Isley mansion. Around him, the sounds of the night came alive in the woods, making the area seem even more desolate.

He knocked loudly on the timeworn door, observing how the elements had been unkind to the mansion. It was clear it had been uninhabited for a long time. Vines grew along the walls and the shrubbery covered the grounds. The dead grass had once been knee-high in the warmer months and the barren tree branches had extended far out as if to reach the mansion.

The forest was slowly reclaiming its territory.

The sound of leaves blowing across the ground caught James attention just as the door opened with a creak.

"Yes?" A voice said from the entry.

"Hello, Ms. Isley?" James turned back around to face the person.

"Yes, that would be me." The door swung open fully, revealing the woman. Her green eyes burned as brightly as ever as she regarded the man in front of her.

"I am Commissioner James Gordon. I am here because I was told one of my officers, Jason Bard, had come to visit you," he explained, showing his badge.

"Ah, I see. I was confused as to why you would suddenly come here so late." Pamela's hand went to her robe. "You will have to forgive my unsightly appearance. I was just about to take a bath when I heard you knock."

"Oh, no I should be apologizing. It's just routine since Officer Bard hasn't returned to the station and no one has seen him since." He pulled out a notepad and a pen from his coat.

"Yes, I understand how these things go. I'm afraid I won't be much help, commissioner. He did come here earlier, but not to question me specifically. He was looking for two women that I know. Unfortunately, they weren't here at the time and I have no idea where they went." The friendly smile she wore on her face faltered. "In fact, they are still not back yet. They often like to go out to different parties. They are those types of women." She emphasized, recovering her smile.

"And why was he looking for those women particularly?"

"Oh, commissioner, you're speaking with the most clueless person about this whole thing," Pamela sighed. "He wouldn't tell me. I suppose because I was not a person of interest."

James nodded, studying her movements. "So did Officer Bard leave the premises?"

"Yes, he did." Pamela pushed some of her hair back behind her shoulder.

"And you clearly saw him leave?" He glanced up from his pad, raising his eyebrow.

"Yes, he drove off. He was only here for a few minutes since there wasn't much to ask of me," Pamela leaned against the door frame, letting her robe slip from her shoulder.

James's eyes flickered to her pale, exposed skin before meeting her eyes once again. "I was just about to ask how long he was here for, but you beat me to it. The last question though, Ms. Isley, do you know the times he arrived and left at?"

"Again, I don't know that either." Pamela shook her head with a frown, propping herself back upright. "I really do apologize for not being more informative."

"Well, you were cooperative and that's more than I can say for most people I question." James chuckled.

Pamela returned his laugh, finally stepping out. "Oh, you can take a look around if you want, commissioner. Or perhaps come inside?"

Moonlight washed over her, catching her pallid skin in its glow. Despite its whitish hue, her skin looked more stunning than in the darkness. Even her dark red hair seemed more crimson in comparison to the rest of her.

"The interior is much lovelier compared to the outside, I promise. I know there is so much work to be done though." Her eyes burned into his.

"No, that is fine, Ms. Isley. I have already taken enough of your time. Thank you though." James turned to leave, crunching over the dead leaves.

"I hope you find your officer. Maybe he just decided to take a night off and have fun," Pamela suggested.

"I hope so too. Well, if I have anything else to ask, I'll be sure to return." He waved before walking off.

Pamela remained at the front door, watching the commissioner walk back to his car and drive off into the night with a smirk.

~

Meanwhile, at home, Barbara tried to distract herself by filling out the application. She had barely written in her name when her hand started to tremble and the pen fell from her grip.

Losing all focus, she felt a sickening feeling start to develop in her stomach. The thought of leading Officer Bard, and potentially her dad, into some sort of danger was enough to hold her brain captive.

"The Isley mansion is far. It would take some time getting over there and coming back." Barbara watched the living room clock, seeing the passing minutes turn into an hour.

The realization that she was alone suddenly hit her after she said this. After what happened last night- After that thing crawled into her room- paranoia quickly replaced her previous concern. She felt as if every dark corner and empty room hid the creature. Convinced she was being watched, Barbara scurried through the house in search of a weapon.

She could already picture him entering the house along with Pamela.

With Richard.

A knife would be too small against them. A hammer would be too ineffective. But a bat might be lethal enough.

"Why didn't I consider this the first time?" Barbara shook her head as she lifted the wooden bat out from the closet. "Well, walking around East End with this would look pretty suspicious. Or maybe not. It is the East End, after all."

She pulled up a chair, arranging it so she could clearly see what entered through the front door. Laying the bat against her lap, she gripped the handle tightly as she waited for the knob to turn. It didn't take long before the knob jiggled as someone struggled to twist it open. Sweat dripped down her palms, making her hold on the weapon weak at best. These things moved fast though and she would have to be ready. Her swing would have to be just as swift, no hesitation whatsoever.

"Barbara! What are you doing with that bat?" James gasped, emerging through the door.

"I-uh-" Her hands dropped the bat as if it had scalded her. It fell to the floor with a clang as it rolled towards the commissioner.

"I got... scared?" Barbara offered a sheepish smile. "So did you find him? What happened?"

"No, and even at the station there's been no further information." James rubbed his temple. "I swear if that kid is just out partying-"

"Well, what happened at the Isley mansion?" Barbara interrupted.

"He was there, but he left."

"That's it?" Barbara raised an eyebrow. "Was there any sign of foul-"

"No, Barbara, there wasn't. Now, go to bed. It's late and-"

"Well, did you look around? Or did you just take her word for it?" Barbara crossed her arms.

"You think I didn't follow procedure? That I didn't do my job?" James glared at his daughter.

"Yes! Because lately, that's all you have been doing. Taking people at face value. People like Mr. W-" She shut her mouth before she could say the name.

"Go to bed." James narrowed his eyes. "Now."