10| Hats

I whistled to myself as I walked through the alleys of the Isle marketplace, smirking to myself as I tripped the son of the Queen Of Hearts, Quinton, into a pile of sea sludge.

As I chuckled I didn't notice something or someone walking towards me, until I bumped into it, sending them and whatever they were carrying to the ground.

"Hey! Watch where you're...Gil?" I asked in disbelief as I looked down at my former crush.

His messy gold curls shook as he looked up at me, his large goofy grin spreading across his face, "Hadey!" He jumped up from the ground, pulling me into a bone-crushing hug, "You're back!"

I sucked in a breath, his arms were crushing my rib cage, "Hey...Gil, I kinda need oxygen."

He quickly nodded, before stepping back, his eyes on me as I dusted myself off.

"How was Auradon? I saw you on the tv!" I smiled at his childlike enthusiasm, good to know that hadn't changed.

I shrugged, "Pretty boring actually, never do anything fun there."

He frowned slightly, his forehead creasing, "Bummer."

I only hummed, looking down at the ground where multiple objects were scattered, "Are those hats?"

Gaston's youngest son nodded enthusiastically, "Yep! I got them from the dumpster. Who would throw all these puppies out?"

I chuckled at him as I bent down, picking up the one closet to me to see it shaped like a crown. My eyes fell back to Ben, though I quickly brushed it off as I handed it over to Gil.

"So," He stared as he continued picking up his hats, "Why are you back?"

I blew a piece of blue hair out of my face, "I'm an Isle girl, Gil. This is home."

He smiled at me over his tower of hats, "Well, I'm glad your here."
I returned the smile as he cocked his head down the alley, "Walk me home?"

I nodded at him, stuffing my hands in my pockets as we made our way towards the docks.

"How are things with you?" I asked, "Still working for Shrimpy?"

He nodded, "Yep." He popped the P, "Uma's cool and all but she's been really focused on revenge lately. She's still super mad at Mal."

I nodded, thinking back to the note Ursula's grudge-holding daughter had sent to Mal, "Believe me, I know."

"So you and the king, huh?" Gil asked, and I bit my lip as he spoke about Ben, "It's funny because his dad and my dad hate each other, and now you're going out with him while we used to go out."

I kicked a rock forwards as we walked, shaking my head, "I don't really think things are gonna work out for me and Ben."

"Huh." Gil was silent for a moment, "So if you guys don't. Do you think you and I could try again?"

I smirked at him, "Maybe if you're lucky."

His smile widened and I turned to him as we reached the tunnel that led to the docks, "Well, here we are. I gotta split, but it was good to see you."

He nodded, walking towards the tunnels before turning back to look at me, "Hey, Hadey?" I raised an eyebrow at him, "I'm glad you're back."

I nodded at him, "Me too."

He sent me one last smile, before walking through the tunnel, him humming his father's song off-pitch as he disappeared into the tunnel.

And with that, I turned on my heels and walked deeper into the Isle.