Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Raven's POV)

Aidan fell asleep in my room, in my bed that night.

He curled up with my blankets, my pillows, fell asleep in my spot. It was the greatest thing in the world, the greatest feeling in the world. He was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I wanted to sleep beside him, but I think that was taking it a step too far. I had to be patient with Aidan.

The spark of hope that I had hidden away was lighting back up again, so I would do anything to make sure Aidan stayed with me now.

I eventually got up to make some tea, but as soon as I opened the bedroom door, Scythe was standing there. He looked ashamed of himself and took a step back. His hair was touseled as if he'd been tearing at it and his eyes were tired, his shirt on backwards. I frowned, then closed the door quietly behind me. Scythe sighed, looking like he wanted to smile, but his lips wouldn't obey.

"I must look stupid." He stated at last.

"No." I answered. Scythe glanced at me thankfully, but leaned against the wall, rubbing his temples for a moment before looking at me, pain etched into his hazel eyes.

"He must hate me." He said softly. I shook my head.

"No. In fact, I think... something about it woke him up to the truth... Well, part of it." I added with a frown that made Scythe wince, folding his arms tightly over his chest.

"We can't tell him yet. It's too dangerous after we threw the whole you're mating with your brother thing. You saw how he reacted. I mean, no offense, Raven."

"None taken." I answered sincerely. Scythe smiled at me, but it faltered and he looked away thoughtfully. I could tell he still felt horribly guilty for slapping Aidan. Part of me was glad he did feel guilty. How dare he slap him, just for a childish outburst. He should expect that from Aidan by now. At the same time, I was thankful for it. Something in Aidan seemed to realize the severity of the situation. He knew he shouldn't have done it. He knew that now.

"Don't feel bad." I said. Scythe laughed, but there as a bitterness to it.

"I already do," He replied, then groaned and pressed the heels of his palms to his eyes, tipping his head back, "Goddess. I said I wouldn't hit my kids. Violence... sort of runs in the family on my side, but my father evaded. Why can't I?"

"Aidan pushes your buttons. He's like a child. He keeps pushing until you snap and there's really nothing you can do." I offered, but Scythe gazed at me.

"There's no excuse in hitting your child, especially when he's going to turn eighteen soon. He's old enough to where my voice is being blocked out. He's more human than the rest of us." He sighed miserably, rubbing his temples again as if to clear a headache.

"He doesn't hate you." I said quietly. Scythe stared at me for a while, then pushed off the wall and walked into my room. I let him. He was still my father, and he was still Aidan's father. I let him approach my bed, sitting beside Aidan, who continued to sleep. I just watched silently as Scythe leaned over and stroked Aidan's hair apologetically, then leaned down at kissed his forehead before getting up and coming back.

"You're still grounded." He deadpanned.

"I figured." I responded dully, then watched as Scythe nodded and walked away. I turned back and came into my bedroom, approaching Aidan on the bed. He was a deep sleeper, his eyes closed and hair a mess from rolling around. I sat down gently, watching him.

I wanted to sleep too, but he'd probably wake up and freak out if he saw me lying next to him.

Of course, I didn't have to worry about that now because there was a loud banging on the front door, enough so that you could hear the whole house shudder. Aidan groaned and rolled onto his back, tossing an arm over his eyes.