Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Aidan's POV)

"Nooo!"

The scream tore from my burning throat as my nails broke off in the dirt as I desperately clawed to get back. The edge of the forest was already vanishing and the last thing I saw was Raven's horrified expression as he ran after me. I couldn't see him anymore as the shadows ripped me through the forest floor.

Branches and twigs slapped me and cut me, thorns ripping through my clothes like a paper shredder. My breath came out in sharp, panicked gasps as I tried to stop myself. I even tried to grab onto a few trees, but they tore loose from the ground or my fingernails broke off. Blood covered my fingers as I still tried to hang onto something, but I was being torn back too quickly.

I could faintly hear Raven screaming my name through the woods as I screamed back, hoping he'd find me if I kept screaming. I realized halfway there where we were going and the panic rose.

No!

This was impossible!

Styx was dead! How was this even possible? I saw him die! Raven tore his throat open! I saw the light fade, felt the coldness of his skin! How could he be doing this to me?!

I was finally torn out of the woods and slammed to the ground where I rolled until I found myself lying on my back in the sand that surrounded the lake. I panted hard, trying to catch my breath as the shadows around me hissed and shivered. I rolled over onto my stomach, forcing myself up on my hands and knees.

I looked down at my belly, wincing at the scratches and dirt smudges. I struggled to my feet, shaking as I took deep gulps of air, looking down at the shadows that danced and coiled around me. I gritted my teeth and kicked at them, only knocking up sand.

I looked around at them, trying to kick at them, but it was useless. They could touch me, but I couldn't touch them. I gave a cry of frustration, kicking again.

"Aidan, don't hurt them." A voice murmured.

I froze, my blood turning to ice in my veins and a chill coursing up my spine, sending goosebumps over my skin. I held my breath, squeezing my eyes shut before opening them, turning around slowly.

I almost fainted.

Oh Goddess, no.

Styx stood there, casting no shadow, wearing what he had worn the night Raven had killed him. His clothes were torn and the blood oozing from his torn throat was splashed up along his face and shirt. His eyes were as black as the shadows around my ankles, his hair wet with blood and rain, touseled about messily.

"Styx." I choked, taking a step back. One of the shadows snapped at my ankle, making me wince as Styx came into the clearing, his black eyes searching the sky before lowering to look at me. He slowly smiled.

"Aidan... Aidan, you look so good in blood. I knew you would." He murmured, coming forward. I wanted to step back, but the shadows wouldn't let me, shoving me toward Styx, who threw his arms open and wrapped me in a hug.

I whimpered, trying to hold my breath, but it was nearly impossible. The heavy, thick stench of blood and decay hung in the air. I wanted to puke, but I was too scared to. Styx cradled me against his rotting corpse, kissing me gently on the forehead.

"H-How?" I managed.

"The Shadows," Styx murmured, studying the black liquid shadows at our feet, "They told me they can bring me back for now. Just so we can talk in person... I'm falling apart, though, Aidan. I can't stay long. Just let me help you while I still can."

"Help me how?! Dragging me two miles through the woods?!" I snarled, shoving him back. Styx winced and I heard a bone snap. I clasped a hand over my mouth, but it didn't stop the wave of nausea that hit me. I stumbled back and vomited, my stomach trembling and aching with pain. I managed to look up once I was finished to see Styx gazing at me.