Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen (Raven's POV)

I used to wake up in the morning alone.

I would wake up and lie there for hours, wondering how I could possibly live with myself because I was in love with my brother. Granted, he wasn't my blood brother, but he was still my brother. Over time, I accepted the fact, however, Aidan's actions toward me dashed my hopes.

Until Aidan confessed that he loved me too.

Now, I didn't wake up alone anymore.

When I woke up the next morning, the first thing I saw wasn't my gray ceiling or lumpy pillow. It was Aidan's sleeping face. He was lying beside me, wearing only a pair of sweatpants with his legs intertwined with my own, his body huddled up against me for warmth. My arm was draped over his torso, holding him close against me.

Honestly, I wanted to be closer. I wanted to be inside him, but there was no way we could do that. Even though Kyler gave us the okay to have sex, Aidan seemed uneasy. The scare from our roughhousing was enough to have him completely at bay from anything sexual.

I understood, though.

I wasn't going to pressure him. Hell, I was perfectly fine with it. I was scared also and I didn't want to lose my mate or my pups.

Pups.

It was hard to believe I was actually going to be a father. How many pups were we going to have? One? Two? Four? Six? The thought made me shiver uneasily. I'm sure the more there were, the more pain Aidan was going to endure, so I closed my eyes and asked the Goddess to please, only give us a couple.

I'd die if something happened to Aidan.

Living would be worthless to me. I'd seen what the death of a mate could do to you. I saw what it did to our grandfather-- Scythe's father, Storm. He wore smiles often, joked and laughed, had casual conversations, but I knew he was in pain every day he woke up in the morning, and there was no one to greet him.

I tried not to focus on it as I slowly slid out of bed. Aidan moaned at the lack of contact and rolled over, taking my spot and cuddling up to my pillow, burying his face against it. I smiled, leaning over and kissing him on the top of his head. I drifted to the bathroom and showered before dressing in a pair of jeans and a v-neck black sweater, I came back out to see Aidan was still asleep.

He was curled up into a tight ball, hugging my pillow to his chest with the blankets pulled up to his ear. I smiled. I wasn't about to wake him up when he was so comfortable. I went to the window and glanced around outside to see a handful of our pack members departing for a hunt.

I went left the room to see them off, finding Kyler in the main room with his hands on his hips and a scowl on his face.

"So fucking stupid. I could kill more deer than they could in a year. Fucking curs are so damn pompous," He was ranting, then stopped when he saw me and smiled, "Morning. Where's the wife?" I'm sure Aidan wouldn't appreciate that, but I didn't bother to correct him as I shrugged.

"Sleeping," I answered, "Thought I should get some chores done before he wakes up."

"Sounds good," Kyler declared, "Let's go into town and grab some munchies."

"I don't think Moonstone is safe for me right now." I admitted.

"Who said anything about Moonstone? I'm talkin' Rosemary. Besides, I have some things to show you, old people stories to tell-- Not that I'm old, but everyone else is and I know the stories pretty well enough to quote them, so come on. It'll only take an hour or two. If Aidan's anything like Zaid, he'll be sleeping longer than that." Kyler added brightly.