Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty (Raven's POV)

"Who are you?" I demanded, holding the flashlight tightly.

The raven cocked its head at me, its wings flaring out for a moment before tucking back in. It didn't answer me with a shriek or a telepathic vibe, just stood there on the IV for a while. I threw my flashlight at it and it shrieked before leaping to the floor, waving its wings.

It stood there for a second as a raven and shortly after, it started to change. It gave a couple squeaks and just as I had thought, it wasn't a normal raven.

The man before me was a were.

He was surprisingly young with deep blue eyes and midnight black hair that was cut at medium length with a smooth, pale body.

"Who are you?" I repeated testily, taking a step toward him. He winced, taking a jolting step away from me, holding his hands up. I waited, narrowing my eyes at him. He was the one that had been tormenting Aidan, there was no question about it.

"I'm not going to hurt you or anything." He told me. I scowled.

"That's a lie. You've been haunting Aidan for weeks now. I had assumed you were a figment of his nightmares, but obviously not that I've seen you for myself. Who are you and what is your connection to Styx?" I demanded. The boy shuddered when I mentioned Styx's name, then looked around as he hugged himself.

He looked uncomfortable with being naked in front of me, so I reluctantly stripped my jacket off and tossed it to him. He caught it swiftly, slipping it on and scanning the destroyed lab with a hint of nostalgia. I frowned.

"Have you been here before?" I asked. He didn't say anything at first, just looked around, then locked eyes with me.

"Yes."

"What's your name?"

"Kasper."

"How are you connected to Styx?" I asked. The boy, Kasper, cringed as if he didn't like my tone of voice and took a step back. He shifted from foot to foot, looking down for a while. He opened his mouth like he was going to respond, but then I was surprised when he made the same mmmph noises that Aidan had made when Styx restricted his ability to make accusations about Luc's murder.

"Never mind," I said at last, seeing his difficulty, "Is there anything you can tell me?" Kasper grimaced and shook his head. I sighed. So, he was completely useless, for now anyway. There had to be a way to break Styx's hold on him and the only person who would know that would be Aidan. He was the only one Styx could contact as a spirit, as far as I know.

"You're coming with me." I stated. Kasper's eyes sharpened and he immediately took on a guarded stance, retreating, but I held up my hands in defense.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I want to help, and I need your help as well. My mate, Aidan. Styx has been sending you to haunt him, right? Nod yes or no." I commanded. Kasper blinked, hesitated for a moment, then nodded slowly.

"Is that all?" I asked. Kasper shook his head. I frowned.

"Why are you here?" I questioned. Kasper shifted uncomfortably, then shook his head.

"I can't tell you." He answered.

"All right," I sighed reluctantly, "Come on. We need to find my friend and go see Aidan. We need to fix what Styx has fucked up." Kasper nodded slowly and went for the door just as it opened and Kyler stepped in, then froze at the sight of Kasper, who gave a low cry and leapt away from him.

"Kasper?" Kyler demanded, looking at him curiously, shutting the door behind him. Kasper whined and started to back away quicklym holding my jacket around him tightly.