Fourteen Angel

Fourteen Angel

            The cold evening wind pounded on my window's clear glass panes. Every second or two a clacking sound would resound from the outside, making me feel not so alone in the empty apartment.  I sat on the small twin sized bed, my legs pulled under the checkered quilt and a book propped open in my lap.

            My eyes vacantly stared the glossy pages of my communication application book while my mind refused to focus on a single word. All I could think of was their hurtful words.  The scenes were in flames behind my eyelids. The words were leaving unbearable scars etched deep into my flesh, coursing along my blood.

            I was tired, tired of everything. I wanted my life back. I wanted to live again. I wanted be the old me. The Alice who was always on the top of everything- perfect grades, good health, and a huddle of friends always surrounded her.

            I was tired of myself.

            Before I knew it, the warmth of the blankets and wind's chaotic hum wove their magic around me and I fell into a dreamless slumber.

            ~*~*~*~
            A banging on the front door jolted me out of sleep. I glanced at the digital propped next to my unkempt bed. 3:30 p.m. it said.

            Strange. Devlin usually doesn't return before five and plus he has the keys to the apartment.

            I got up from the bed, slipping on my slippers and walked to the front-door. My hand reached for the door knob. When I opened the door, I'm greeted by a tall, shy-looking girl who looks around to be of Devlin's age. Her cheeks are flushed pink as long waves of black hair cascade down her slim back. In her hands, she held a large woven basket filled with flawless white roses. She's staring at her feet, blushing furiously. Who is she?

            I clear my throat. "Hi,"

Her honey colored eyes snap in my directions as a frown covers her lips. "Who are you?" She speaks, biting her lips.

            "Um..." She's the one who's standing at my doorstep. Shouldn't I be the one asking her that?

"Are you Devlin's girlfriend?" She asks, nearly scowling at me.

            Now it's my turn to blush. Color rushes to my face. "Err, no I'm his roommate," Well, sort of -except for the fact that I haven't paid my share of the rent yet.

            Relief floods her face and a smile covers it. "Is Devlin here?"

"No, he's not. Actually he doesn't return from college before five,"

            The smile drops on her face. "Oh," I'm caught up feeling guilty and jealous. Right now I want to chuck a bat across her face and hit it till her features are dismantled. Alice, be nice. This isn't like you.

"I can give him your message when he comes back from college," I try smiling but I think it comes out as grimace.

She looks at me, wearily. "You'll seriously tell him, right?"

I nod my head.

            She chews the inside of her mouth and hands me the basket of roses. "Tell him that Elizabeth Chu came to visit,"

            "Okay," I smile for the last time before shutting the door.

I set the basket on the kitchen's granite counter.  There is a small vanilla colored envelope lying in the basket. My hands are itching to read it but I resist. It's wrong to invade into someone's privacy. God knows, it could be love letter. Urgh.