Chapter 1 - The Waiting Game

I do not own these characters (I just write them as a way to love them and care for them).

|   Warning: Steve 'N Me Fanfiction, now with more angst!   |

Your stomach dropped over and over as a turbulent storm shifted the quinjet around in the air. Honestly, you didn't want to think about what would happen if there was a crash. It had already been a long and eventful trip... and all you could think about was how fast Tony would be able to get you all home.

You looked down at your bruising hands where they rested on your lap and wished you could be closer to the table a few feet away, where an unconscious Steve was strapped down safely. But everyone was strapped in safely now, no chances could be taken. Watching his body shake with every bump, you knew there was nothing to worry about and he was going to be fine. But you still wanted to be close to him because that's all you could really do to help. Time after time on missions, you would watch Steve take the hardest hits and get back up. There was nothing to worry about.

Directly across the jet from you, Wanda was strapped in and staring straight at Steve. She looked at you and her eyes filled with tears as she whispered "I'm sorry..."

You shook your head no and gave her a tight lipped smile. "No, Wanda, it's not your fault. He's going to be fine."

The tears started rolling down her cheeks and Vision, who was strapped in next to her, reached over and laid his hand on top of hers.

Clint looked back at you from the passenger seat up front and then looked to Tony who was concentrating on flying through the storm. "I'll get us home as fast as I can," Tony called out. You knew he was talking to you but you sat quietly because stressing about this situation wasn't going to make anything better.

When you did arrive back at the Avengers Compound, the storm continued. It was a violent, dark storm, the after effects of a tropical storm from a couple of days prior. You waited outside the sickbay as Bruce and another doctor examined Steve, watching the rain pound the windows in waves, comforting and frightening simultaneously. Like a headlight in the fog, you heard Tony's voice coming towards you. "Anything yet?"

Hours had passed. You'd paced, you'd sat, you'd even laid down on the cold floor in the hallway. Every second without word from inside that room, you felt your fear grow inside you. "Nothing yet," you said to him, leaning over with your elbows on your knees.

"Why don't you go get some rest, kiddo?" he said, gently.

"I'm not leaving him. He would do the same for me and he has..." you trailed off and sighed, turning to Tony. As you started to speak, your voice sounded small and afraid. "Why haven't they come out yet?"

Tony wasn't incredibly touchy-feely so there were no hugs or hand holding, but he sat with you and didn't move. He talked when you wanted him to, and he was quiet when you needed him to be. He only walked away once to take a phone call from Pepper.

The door finally opened, slowly. Bruce peeked out, looking tired and at a loss for words. He looked at you and then to Tony and then his eyes fell. You were expecting him to let you in the room but instead, he slipped out as the other doctor followed, and closed the door very quietly. Sitting down next to you, Bruce still looked like he didn't know what to say. The doctor gave you and Tony a nod and continued down the hallway.

"He's awake," he said, but it was very matter of fact, not in any excited way. Just a confirmation, really.

"But...?" you and Tony both asked.