Chapter 3 - Displacement

|   Warning: This chapter has the feels.   |

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry to do this to you..." Bruce said firmly but with lots of hesitation. "I'm having him rest today to give you time to move some things out of your room."

You stared at Bruce, not moving. Natasha and Wanda stood up and moved next to you.

"I don't know what else to say besides I'm sorry, (Y/N)," he said, shaking his head. "I feel like he's going to have a better chance of getting his memory back if he's back in his own room. I really have no reason to keep him here. But... maybe you should get some things out."

"I understand," you said calmly. You could feel Natasha and Wanda hold onto your arms.

"We'll help," Wanda said.

You looked through the window into the sick bay and saw Steve leaned back onto the bed. Your heart wrenched and you were glad that the girls were holding onto you.

***

Wanda and Natasha started to clear out your things in the closet and lay them on a cart while you looked at your cell phone. "Just give me a minute," you called to them.

"Take your time, we got this," Natasha said.

Your fingers hesitated typing but you started anyway. "Sam, we had an accident on a mission yesterday. Steve took a pretty bad blow to the head, he's lost his memory. It may just be temporary. I just wanted to let you know."

Looking around the room, you saw a few photo frames of you and Steve that needed to be packed up. Your phone buzzed and you looked at the message.

"Do you need me? I can be there by the morning."

You didn't know if it was serious enough to call Sam home from his mission. He was chasing a lead on Bucky in Bucharest.

"Thanks, I appreciate it. I think we've got it for now. I'll keep you posted."

You walked around and collected the photo frames, stacking them on the bottom of the cart. Natasha looked at you, then glanced at the photos. "Is that necessary?"

"He doesn't know... he doesn't know I'm his girlfriend... or that I was his girlfriend. If he thinks he was just in 1945, it seems like it would be hard for him to accept..." you trailed off. It was a struggle not to be emotional about it. Natasha pursed her lips, obviously fighting the urge to tell you otherwise, and went back to packing.

Besides clothes, you really just needed to collect toiletries and a few small things. A box and a duffle bag should do it. With three of you packing up, it took less than a half an hour.

...Less than a half an hour to erase you from Steve's life.

Natasha pulled the cart into the hallway and Wanda carried a box with your laptop sitting on top of it. You followed them and then turned back to look around. There were no obvious signs of you visible anymore.

There was Steve's sweatshirt folded at the bottom of the bed. You reached for it and threw it over your arm and closed the door behind you.

The walk down the hall to your old room seemed long.

You remembered when you and Steve had started dating and no one knew yet... and you'd both walk that long hallway, avoiding being seen by anyone. And finally, one day you were walking that way together and Steve reached to hold your hand. When you gave him a questioning look, he smiled at you and picked your intertwined hands up to his mouth, giving yours a kiss. "I don't care if anyone sees us anymore..." Then there was that smile that melted your heart.